Hello from DC

jruger

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Justin. I had a car accident in Nov that has left me profoundly deaf in both ears. I was hoping to meet some people and have some type of support group. I have been hard of hearing since birth (nerve damage) but the impact of the head injury from accident has made it permanent. I do not know sign language and was able to read lips fairly well before the accident due to the loss of hearing. Now i feel lost and confused. I am in DC two metro stops from Galludet studying at Catholic university for my Doctorate in Nuclear Physic.

Welcome! Why not take the plunge and learn Sign for this? It might help you....and you're only two subway stops away from Gally, which would offer a LOAD of resources!

Welcome...look into Gallaudet to learn sign language or get resources to help you deal with the change in your life. I live in Baltimore...not too far. I graduated from Gallaudet myself.

Welcome...look into Gallaudet to learn sign language or get resources to help you deal with the change in your life. I live in Baltimore...not too far. I graduated from Gallaudet myself.

Thanks! I actually found out that as a CUA student my tuition covers any courses that i wish to take at Gallaudet.

Welcome! Why not take the plunge and learn Sign for this? It might help you....and you're only two subway stops away from Gally, which would offer a LOAD of resources!

Thanks! I actually found out that as a CUA student my tuition covers any courses that i wish to take at Gallaudet.

Well there you have it! Don't feel hesistant thinking that you're not "deaf enough" (whatever THAT means) The Deaf community at Gally is actually pretty diverse and represents a range of backgrounds......HOH (whether functionally or audilogically) are accepted there generally...... I'd take the plunge. It might add a little something to your life!

Well there you have it! Don't feel hesistant thinking that you're not "deaf enough" (whatever THAT means) The Deaf community at Gally is actually pretty diverse and represents a range of backgrounds......HOH (whether functionally or audilogically) are accepted there generally...... I'd take the plunge. It might add a little something to your life!

I'm profoundly deaf since accident. Don't think it is possible to get any deafer :-p

Hey there. I live in MD, near DC. Depends who I'm talking to if I say I'm Deaf or hearing. I feel like I have been in limbo for years. I read lips, use hearing aids (sometimes), and sign. Maybe we could find an event to go to at Gallaudet together!

Although I feel like I've had this conversation with you before, if is very hard to get past the feeling of not being "Deaf enough". I have encountered that by many people.

Hi ! I was born hoh too and my car was totaled and I lost more hearing when my head hit something in my car . I can no longer wear a hearing aid in my right ear.
So I can relate to your accident , I am sorry to hear this happen to you . Could you take a ASL classes at Gallaudet or some other college ?

I'm profoundly deaf since accident. Don't think it is possible to get any deafer :-p
LOL....... I know physically you're deaf, but people who grew up HOH sometimes think that they're too "hearing" to be Deaf.......(mostly b/c of the mentality that HOH kids didn't "need" ASL, deaf ed and other full toolbox tools) As long as you go in with the mentality that you want to learn ASL, and that you're not "better" then someone simply b/c you grew up oral or mainstreamed, you'll be accepted.

Back