Hearing person from canada

QofK

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a hearing person, and I've been curious about learning ASL for a few years. I've never looked into it, because I don't know anyone who signs and I'm not sure how successful I can be in an environment where no one else is signing.

Is there anyone else who is attempting to learn on their own? I don't have any options to take in person lessons where I live (and with 2 jobs and a 4 children, I'm not sure how I'd schedule that in anyway), so I'm relying solely on online learning at this point.

I should add that my husband is also interested in learning, so it is something that we would like to do together.

Learn through like lifeprint or so, and go to Deaf events open for new signers in your neighbourhood

That's a great idea Meike. I'm not sure what sort of Deaf events we have in our specific area. It's a smaller city with only a population of about 35,000 and I know that our city does not offer ASL classes at the local Canadian Hearing Society - the closest is about 30 minutes away. But maybe they have some events. I will look into that.

I'm checking out LifePrint now.

Welcome, good luck on your search. Also many people have tried learning on their own, I have tried both. Go the class route. You can learn more than by yourself and make some new signing friends.

I'm west of Toronto, in Southern Ontario. The closest city that has classes is 30 minutes away. Are there any video-conference style online classes?

I have a Skype buddy, who's also learning from that area.

And yes, www.lifeprint.com
(Otherwise it would be impossible to try and learn from across the ocean)

I think it's really good that you are interested in learning. I am learning ASL online. I would suggest using lifeprint, handspeak, and signing savvy.

Back