Hearing mom of ASD non verbal daughter learning ASL

Givahoot

Reaction score
Hi! My daughter is 3 1/2 years old. She is completely nonverbal so I have been learning sign language. She is quite resistant to it while I have found a new passion! I think it is beautiful! I would love to wake up in the morning and be fluent, wouldn't that be nice! Sadly that's not going to happen and it's ok! I am enjoying the studying I have done so far. I have been using the life print course and Smart Hands app (along with a few others) Would love to meet people who are patient and would like to video chat so I can practice. Also any other mothers teaching ASL to their child. I am really having some trouble getting her to participate. Thanks! :wave:

Has your daughter tried PECS and other ways to communicate?
There IS a school for hearing children who use ASL to communicate, as well as a Deaf (both functionally and audilogically) autism program.
The Children's Center for Communication
and Deaf-Autism Program
Just so you know, most classicly/severe (note I said CLASSICLY/SEVERE.....I realize there are some HFA/Aspie folks who can use ASL) autistic kids cannot use ASL the way Deaf kids can....It's a GOOD tool, but with autistic kids it's more of an alternative/augmentive communication approach rather then a language approach if that makes any sense.

I did buy some PECS but she could care less about them. Same as the ipad or sign language. She is not severe. She can do some signs I just have to withhold to get her to. She does love to do the sign for swing. She does it for everything she wants. I live in a small town in Mississppi. There aren't any ASL schools or classed. I can't even find anyone who knows it! Therefore I can not practice. If my daughter woke up tomorrow and started talking I would still continue learning this amazing language.

Hi...what state do you live in?

I did buy some PECS but she could care less about them. Same as the ipad or sign language. She is not severe. She can do some signs I just have to withhold to get her to. She does love to do the sign for swing. She does it for everything she wants. I live in a small town in Mississppi. There aren't any ASL schools or classed. I can't even find anyone who knows it! Therefore I can not practice. If my daughter woke up tomorrow and started talking I would still continue learning this amazing language.

Sorry you missed it. She said Mississippi in the middle of a post a couple or so above yours.

How about the Signing Naturally DVDs? They are quite good, but I admit they are on a high school/college level. Or Signing Times? That is dedicated to more pre-school age.

Sorry you missed it. She said Mississippi in the middle of a post a couple or so above yours.

Oh ha! Was reading it after a busy day with family. Thanks.

I don't know much about Deaf services and the Deaf community in Mississippi

Sounds like you love the language! That's awesome. But I feel for you......there probaly isn't a lot of resources for autistic kids in Mississippi.......

Her daughter is not Deaf, she's nonverbal with autism.

Her daughter is not Deaf, she's nonverbal with autism.

doesn't mean that they can't get involved with the Deaf community. It it's for helping with learning ASL.

Shel90
It looks like you found my post helpful; I was trying to help.

Frisky
I was trying to help Shel find the state in question faster. I am still wondering what about that had you fuming. So decided to ask. What was it I said that got you upset?

Frisky
I was trying to help Shel find the state in question faster. I am still wondering what about that had you fuming. So decided to ask. What was it I said that got you upset?

I am under the impression that you were worried about how shel reply to you if you point out the oversighte sentence to her. I m curious why did you have to say sorry. :) i guess i am over analyzing the term "sorry" when someone didn't see the sentence.

Back