has anyone drove or owned a Pontiac GTO?

Grummer

Reaction score
I mean the newer ones, - now discontinued but they're good modern day coupes, ok granted there's Dodge challengers, and new Camaros, but im not interested in that....

just that GTO, (it's an American version of that famous Australian Monaro)...did you like it?

I am considering buying a Monaro...however negs about GTO over in states isn't going to put me off. I drove a couple and absolutely love it, there is No single car out there without faults...i not interested in high maintenance European cars , they nice but PITA (and expensive) to own....

I mean the newer ones, - now discontinued but they're good modern day coupes, ok granted there's Dodge challengers, and new Camaros, but im not interested in that....

just that GTO, (it's an American version of that famous Australian Monaro)...did you like it?

I am considering buying a Monaro...however negs about GTO over in states isn't going to put me off. I drove a couple and absolutely love it, there is No single car out there without faults...i not interested in high maintenance European cars , they nice but PITA (and expensive) to own....

I drove Pontiac GTO 2007 with manual and it's JUNK!! Clutch pedal's location was very wrong! You have to lift your leg up to press it. Very stupid design. No wonder 92% of USA driver use auto transmission.

And what's wrong with Japanese? They are low maintenance, good price, and fast like Sti, Evo, GT-R, BRz, etc.

It's just a Commodore with a pretty dress on really....BUT I'd love one if I had the chance - and the money!
Holden made an AWD version but it's very rare...

They won't cost a fortune to run, and you'll be able to get parts everywhere - not that you'll really need them, there's not a lot to go wrong really.

I

In my opinion its total junk, my boss got one that was a lemon that was constantly broken, boot always filled with water, after 5 repair attempts and this was only one of many problems he had.

that was the problem with monaros, quality of build (on the finish and engine put-together, by chance wasn't tolerance-rigid enough to ensure it follows closely to enough to manufacturers blueprint) hence the unreliability......
lemons and guns varies alot on this model....but i know what to look for, my own mechanic is going to help me on it...so yes , ausrider's boss had happen to got the bad one.....also im gonna try get one thats not from cities near the water....and not modified (apart extractors and or nicer mags (but id prefer to get totally stock and don the mags my self)

Grum

..and whisky is right, parts easy to get, and a terribly expensive car to run, also not alot to break down (if you had a good one, not a poorly assembled lemon)

I drove Pontiac GTO 2007 with manual and it's JUNK!! Clutch pedal's location was very wrong! You have to lift your leg up to press it. Very stupid design. No wonder 92% of USA driver use auto transmission.

And what's wrong with Japanese? They are low maintenance, good price, and fast like Sti, Evo, GT-R, BRz, etc.
Yeah, but used Japanese cars cost HIGHER. Used American cars are unbelievably cheap but I know they won't last long as used Japanese cars.

My son is currently looking for an used car. His friend who works for Volvo recommends used Volvo cars. He's willing to sell one at a price my son can afford ($2,500-$3,500 for 2000-2003 s40). What do you think of Volvo?

High maintenance means frequent oil changes, trans fluid, etc. Low maintenance means less. I assume that you mean expensive repairs. American cars have more problems, that's why more people buy foreign cars. For example, in the parking lot where I work, 80% of them are foreign cars that include Korean, Swedish, Germany and (mostly) Japanese cars.

Just pick up a 1971 Pontiac GTO w/455 cid for oil service last summer. This car is very mint condition and low mileage, belongs to old man (Orignial owner). I recall the odometer that was about 78K miles on it. Drive? Just drive around the block and return it to a customer.

Yeah, but used Japanese cars cost HIGHER. Used American cars are unbelievably cheap but I know they won't last long as used Japanese cars.

My son is currently looking for an used car. His friend who works for Volvo recommends used Volvo cars. He's willing to sell one at a price my son can afford ($2,500-$3,500 for 2000-2003 s40). What do you think of Volvo?

Volvo? No thanks. If you kiss Swede female's ass then your wallet will flat and zero money after several repair expenses. I did fix lot Swedish cars. Love them for good money... My advise is Do not buy this car. You decide....

Back