Grrr at those Fire Ants!

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have anyone experience being bitten from fire ants? Some of you are from the southern or visited the southern?

Since some of you know that I travel on the roads doing bbq shows and Florida is one of the state we visit. Last two weeks ago we were at St. Pete, Florida and I was wearing sandals and those fire ants kept on biting me numeric of times, Damn it hurts as heck! I had to wear socks in order to avoid the fire ants but It's helpless because they can crawl up your legs too. One of the crew from another bbq got bite on her lips while drinking her soda can and her lip were swollen, She found a fire ant on her soda pop. :Ohno:

I am from Florida, and yes, I have been bitten by fire ants....I was outside and I don't know how many there were (maybe 1 or 2)...but I felt sharp stinging on my toes. I looked down and realized a fire ant or 2 had bitten me. I later went inside the house to take a look at my toes and I saw "pimples" on the area...so popped out the poison.

Yes, fire ant beds are common here in Florida....you just have to be careful where you step or there will be angry fireants around. Especially when you are diabetic, my grandma was diabetic, and she was stung by fireants on her legs...but she didn't know it. My mother took her to the doctor and he said for her not to go outside in that area. So my mother got some fire ant killer to kill the beds and ants in that area.

*goosebumps* ain't going near fireants..

I born raised vacation in Florida until stopped when I was teenager 17 yrs old. I do not recall fireants and bit me.. *hmmmm* probably I ain't remmy if fireants did bit me or not..

futureinfest.jpg

popluar south area.

Thanks lot!!!
*shrugs*

Now I feel goosebumps and uncomfortable feel alike *itchy* my body... Stuck my head!

Not surprisingly, my first encounter with fire ants was in St Augustine, Florida on the 4th of July, about 10 years or so ago. We had sat our blankets down and were prepared to watch fireworks, when all of a sudden we all started getting bit by fire ants. Little fuckers!

apathrev said:
Not surprisingly, my first encounter with fire ants was in St Augustine, Florida on the 4th of July, about 10 years or so ago. We had sat our blankets down and were prepared to watch fireworks, when all of a sudden we all started getting bit by fire ants. Little fuckers!

:rofl: "little fuckers!"

GalaxyAngel said:
I born raised vacation in Florida until stopped when I was teenager 17 yrs old. I do not recall fireants and bit me.. *hmmmm* probably I ain't remmy if fireants did bit me or not..

You'll feel it trust me cuz I did. They bite hard and It felt like my skin is burning or something. Seriously there were so many of those fire ants that I've never seen before in my whole life!

It's not like regular ants aren't bad enough! Now God has to give them the power to inflict great pain?! Have mercy! :bowdown:

Yea the fire ant bites are very painful. I was outside in my yard when I stepped on a fire ant nest. The ants covered both my feet and starting to bite. I had to scream out and ran to where my garden hose was. I turned on the water and hosed all the ants out. I then went inside my house and poured some rubbing alcohol over my feet. OH my gosh my feet were covered with blotches and pimples. Yes, apathyrev, they are little fuckers lol. They are so little but their bites are like coming from something bigger.

Yes, I have been bitten by fire ants. They are very common here in South Carolina.

I've never bitten by fire ants....I don't think I have. I used to live in S. CA. My son is cute cuz he hates BEE and he said bees bite (should say sting!). He got stung about 3 times. Poor my kid!

I never was bitten by fire ants or even seen any in real life, they just bite a lot. There are several types of venom(posionous) ants. They will kill you with one bite.

Fire ants don't live north of the "freezing" zone. Cold weather kills them. That's why they are only in the South, especially the Southeast.

Reba said:
Fire ants don't live north of the "freezing" zone. Cold weather kills them. That's why they are only in the South, especially the Southeast.

Technically true. I heard when they were frozen and thawed out and they acted none for the worst. I got to definitely find out if that is true...the trouble with that possibility when water freezes, tissue is damaged because water expands when frozen. They really don't have any natural enemies in the US which makes it difficult to find a predator against them. Here in NC, they are releasing a extremely small fly (from South America) that likes to use fire ants as a host for it's young. Pretty gruesome too as the eggs use the brain of the fireants to incubate. Fireants in Brazil are kept in check that way (meaning they aren't overrunning the place).

Every spring we spread Over 'n Out!™ over our yard to prevent fire ants. The Over 'n Out!™ works very well, as long you don't miss a spot, and it lasts all season.

I love to find a huge fire ant mound and poke a stick into it. Man, those things swarm! It is very interesting to watch.

Back