Good schools is Washington State?

punkybug

Reaction score
I have a son who is hearing and has Apraxia and we are all learning ASL as a family so he has a way to communicate, we are in the begining stages and we all love it. We have him in Pre-school right now and he is the only kid who knows how to sign, so he is extremely frustrated as he can't talk to people and they don't understand his signs either. A gal I met who is HOH in my class suggested getting him involved in the deaf community at a early age. We are considering putting him in a deaf school versus a mainstream school as we want him to have friends he can talk to and somewhere were he can be understood. Does anyone have any suggestions on good deaf schools in WA?

Is moving an option? You really do have a VERY low incidence condition Contact Washington School for the Deaf. It's not exactly too unsual for a kid with apraxia to be seen in Deaf Ed, but I think it really depends on the area.
St. Rita's School for the Deaf has an AMAZING apraxia program: Sign N' Say
There is a camp too! Sign N' Say

Thank you so much for the information. It looks like it is a great program and is exactly what I'm looking for. As for moving I think it would be tough, but when it comes to your kid I guess you do whatever you have to, to make their life better:)

Thank you so much for the information. It looks like it is a great program and is exactly what I'm looking for. As for moving I think it would be tough, but when it comes to your kid I guess you do whatever you have to, to make their life better:)

It's tough to move but on the other hand, it would be the absolutly perfect program. I would also contact United Cerbal Palsy (some kids with CP who cannot speak use ASL as a first language) and the Washington School for the Deaf as well.

Back