Gates: Obama is more analytical than Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but I'm just gently nudging you to carry on proud military tradition within your family. Nothing wrong with serving as military psychiatrist.
67726108.1Je0Ivie.salute.gif

just saying. don't worry about it at all :cool2:

Family traditions are just that....something within a family.:cool2:

What exactly, makes you so certain that I don't engage in activities at the local VA medical center?

Family traditions are just that....something within a family.:cool2:

What exactly, makes you so certain that I don't engage in activities at the local VA medical center?
I didn't say that nor implied it. There's a big difference between serving as a civilian and solider.

I didn't say that nor implied it. There's a big difference between serving as a civilian and solider.

In a VA medical facility? Now you are back tracking.:laugh2:

that's your opinion. :)

How many VA medical facilities are you familiar with, Jiro. There is no more prestige, or benefit for a civilian doctor, nurse, or mental health professional than for a military one.

How many VA medical facilities are you familiar with, Jiro. There is no more prestige, or benefit for a civilian doctor, nurse, or mental health professional than for a military one.

:) that's fine if you wish to see it that way. I see it differently as I see esteemed honor and prestige in earning the uniform and stripes. Nothing's more honorable than serving for country. Of course... it's not for everybody which is why I stated that what can compensate for it is extensive background in civil service.

I am in no way of diminishing your position just because you didn't serve in it. I was simply just poking you to carry on the military tradition within your bloodline family. :cool2:

:) that's fine if you wish to see it that way. I see it differently as I see esteemed honor and prestige in earning the uniform and stripes. Nothing's more honorable than serving for country.

I think serving as a civilian in the mental health field is just as commendable as serving in the military as a psychiatrist. We need more professionals in the mental health field. They are sorely lacking.

I think serving as a civilian in the mental health field is just as commendable as serving in the military as a psychiatrist. We need more professionals in the mental health field. They are sorely lacking.

Especially when it comes to the provision of mental health services for our vets.

Especially when it comes to the provision of mental health services for our vets.

hence the sentence before the last sentence in my post #150. :cool2:

hence the sentence before the last sentence in my post #150. :cool2:

In reply to post #150...someone has to take care of those men in uniform that return disabled with both physical and mental health problems. Providing said care to our returning vets is, in my opinion, every bit as noble as putting on a uniform. After all, many require extensive and chronic care.

In reply to post #150...someone has to take care of those men in uniform that return disabled with both physical and mental health problems. Providing said care to our returning vets is, in my opinion, every bit as noble as putting on a uniform. After all, many require extensive and chronic care.

yep.

Exactly. Far too many of them are coming home from battle with PTSD, depression, etc. and not getting the mental health services they deserve. If I had my way, all vets would receive free mental health care under the law.

Exactly. Far too many of them are coming home from battle with PTSD, depression, etc. and not getting the mental health services they deserve. If I had my way, all vets would receive free mental health care under the law.

aren't vets' health coverage fully covered by government? I mean that's what veteran hospitals are for. You know - I'm not sure but you'll have to tell me. Don't vets prefer shrinks who were/are soldiers with some combat experience? I guess that's why support group is beneficial for them.

aren't vets' health coverage fully covered by government? I mean that's what veteran hospitals are for. You know - I'm not sure but you'll have to tell me. Don't vets prefer shrinks who were/are soldiers with some combat experience? I guess that's why support group is beneficial for them.

Not every city has a VA hospital. Furthermore, some vets live in rural areas where they can't get to a VA hospital. As for what kind of a psychiatrist a vet prefers, that I can't answer because I'm not a vet and have never worked with them myself.

Jiro,

You'd be surprised how many vets come home from battle who do not receive mental health services. If a vet doesn't have a VA hospital near them, obtaining psychiatric services is next to impossible since many medical professionals (i.e. GPs) do not understand PTSD or depression and mistakingly assume that if a soldier is strong enough to fight and see death right before their eyes, they are strong enough to deal with any mental health issues they may have.

Not every city has a VA hospital. Furthermore, some vets live in rural areas where they can't get to a VA hospital. As for what kind of a psychiatrist a vet prefers, that I can't answer because I'm not a vet and have never worked with them myself.

They can take long trip to VA hospital.

Jiro,

You'd be surprised how many vets come home from battle who do not receive mental health services. If a vet doesn't have a VA hospital near them, obtaining psychiatric services is next to impossible since many medical professionals (i.e. GPs) do not understand PTSD or depression and mistakingly assume that if a soldier is strong enough to fight and see death right before their eyes, they are strong enough to deal with any mental health issues they may have.

Point is - VA hospitals are available for them. We cannot tell them to use it. The doors are always open for them. About your last few sentences - that's why I asked if vets prefer military shrinks with some combat experience.

They can take long trip to VA hospital.

That's easier said than done. What if they have young children and no one to take care of them? What if they are living from paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to take time off of their job to drive however many miles it takes to reach a VA hospital? What if they are physically disabled or blind and can't drive? What if they are newly deaf and don't know sign? How do they communicate with a psychiatrist even if they are able to attend a VA hospital? It's always easier to tell someone else what they can and can't do when you aren't the one wearing their shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back