Ford Falcon

goodonya

Reaction score
Whiskeyonesix mentioned about owning a 99 Ford Falcon in Australia. I was surprised to hear that these cars were still in production. They kind of fizzled off the radar screen thirty some years ago here. I never owned one but miss seeing the styling around that was common in the sixties when they were everywhere. I read up a little - Ford had a little 2.something liter straight six back then in them that got 30 mpg. This reminded me of the pain of modern vehicles and how they are fucking us hard. ]
Do you hear me Ford? Shaking my fist at you? I bought your Freestyle you bastards!

I seen a Falcon GTHO Phase 2!!, and been in his Torana XU1 too and he promised a ride in the Falcon , havent heard since... its has a Cleveland 351...

The falcon has come a long way from such humble beginnings but unfortuatly might not be in production much longer.

We have a 335kw/449hp supercharged V8 variant (FPV GT) onsale at the moment that i quite like.
0-100kmh 4.52
0-400m 12.64
2012-FPV-GT-FG-MKII-front-630x416.jpg

Or the F6 which is a turbo 6 cyl i like more as its got 310kw/420hp and 565nm/417lbft of torque from 1950rpm

0-100kmh 5.1
0-400m 13.4

123739698.jpg

Unfortunatly im not allowed to spend lots of money on a car so i go myself a FG XR6 Turbo its not 270kw/362hp and and 585nm/432lbft of torque from 2000rpm

cp4903250339039520887.jpg

Glad to see I've inspired a thread here :)

This is what a 1999 Falcon looks like......

Falcon2.jpg

There's a bit of a story with these.... Ford were thinking about importing the European Ford Scorpio and adapting it, but decided to go ahead and build a brand new car from scratch on the sort of loose change that Hugh Hefner finds down the back of his sofa :)
So they bought the AU Falcon out and Boy did the motoring press and general public hate it - despite the fact that it was very nice to drive. So they all went out and bought Holden Commodores, and Ford has been playing catch-up ever since....
Mine has the grille and alloys off an XLS Falcon Ute, and a boot spoiler - which I think were dealer-fit extras to help sales.
Not Fords greatest Car by a long shot, but I think history will be fairly kind to it..... although I do like the look of that FG XR6 Turbo......maybe when I win the Lottery:)

whiskey, My dad had a AU3 Falcon wagon as a company car and was getting amazing fuel economy, the car mechanically was very good it was more the AU1 that a bit of a let down in the styling department

yeah F6 is apparently a lot better than the XR8s...I'd liken one too, and need a lottery win as well for it...been in a Ford XR6 Ute Tickford. boy it was stonky, LOTS of torque just unreal, it wasnt that fast , but Grunt it has

Bro-in-law tuned a 1950's Ford Prefect, to do a 100mph LOL

Glad to see I've inspired a thread here :)

This is what a 1999 Falcon looks like......

Falcon2.jpg

There's a bit of a story with these.... Ford were thinking about importing the European Ford Scorpio and adapting it, but decided to go ahead and build a brand new car from scratch on the sort of loose change that Hugh Hefner finds down the back of his sofa :)
So they bought the AU Falcon out and Boy did the motoring press and general public hate it - despite the fact that it was very nice to drive. So they all went out and bought Holden Commodores, and Ford has been playing catch-up ever since....
Mine has the grille and alloys off an XLS Falcon Ute, and a boot spoiler - which I think were dealer-fit extras to help sales.
Not Fords greatest Car by a long shot, but I think history will be fairly kind to it..... although I do like the look of that FG XR6 Turbo......maybe when I win the Lottery:)
Nice looking ride whiskey! I was stunned to hear the Falcon still lives on and has done so well.

heres the pics of the old Falcons XWs and XYs GTHO's way more desirable and valuable

Attachments

• ford-falcon-gtho-phase-2-02.jpg
    ford-falcon-gtho-phase-2-02.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ford-falcon-gtho-phase-2-06.jpg
    ford-falcon-gtho-phase-2-06.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3
  • ZEROD-Ford-Falcon-2.jpg
    ZEROD-Ford-Falcon-2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1971-ford-falcon-xy-gt-ho-phase-3-sedan.jpg
    1971-ford-falcon-xy-gt-ho-phase-3-sedan.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
Oh yeah, those GTHO's can go for really silly money sometimes - 6-figure sums for sure.
I see quite a few out on the roads at weekends (and the usual "trailer-queens" at car shows) but I reckon a lot of those would be replica's.

not the ones i saw...
its owned by this rich cycle-shop owner

but yeah, there would be some as real steel-bodied XW/XYs but with fitting on of the real grills from the gt/ho's. but then again
its would be less likely i mean the crashes are nearly always on the front-end with wipes out the Gtho's grills/lights...leaving out the old Falcon 500s....

so that would be tell-tale signs and all... also tanks, struts to hold engine and shocks
and pipe routing brackets also are a giveaway....

so to a trained eyes....the real GT's with sily prices and blue block of Clevelands not windsors... etc etc
then again gearboxs/ and its ratios is another which subject to ride tests/rpm/mph tests to verfy a real gthos...

i do KNOW Ive seen a REAL one... and was promised a ride in that one...guess its matter finding a time when he not busy and not tired (busy man he is!)...
then i might get lucky im not shitting ya...he was impressed how much i knew the stuff...

Used to have an old Falcon...not sure if it was a '60, '62 or a '64....baby blue in color....lots of trouble with it tho', so I didn't have it very long...sold it and get me a MG sports car.....

Back