Ever used ASL in an ESL class? Newbie + introduction

saraw

Reaction score
tl;dr: I'm trying to learn ASL so I can be a good teacher and because I love laguages.

Hi! I'm Saraw, and I am a junior TESOL education (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Though I've been interested in ASL for years, I've only just started really trying to learn it recently. My goals are to use ASL (specifically the vocabulary) in my classroom, since the total body response of making a sign while knowing what it means in English can really help students remember the words in English, thus making the acquisition of the English language easier than just trying to learn it auditorily.

My personal goals for ASL is fluency in the language. Even though I'm left-handed, I think I'm picking up the individual signs alright, but I have a hard time with the grammar aspect. Since my college doesn't offer ASL courses and I don't actually know anyone who uses ASL, I'm always looking for people to practice with!

Sorry, I just read through that and it sounds like teacher mumbo-jumbo. If you don't want to be a teacher, sorry!

:welcome:

I'm not exactly clear about how you intend to incorporate ASL in teaching English to non-English speaking hearing people.

As you are finding out, ASL grammar and English grammar are not the same.

It doesn't matter which hand is dominant in signing, as long as you are consistent and don't switch back and forth during a conversation.

Since your college doesn't offer ASL, where are you taking it?

Real practice happens when you meet and interact face-to-face with deaf signers. (I don't mean on line interaction.)

You're definitely right about the grammar, which is why the ASL I use with hearing English learners will be more focused on signs to make connections to English words. Grammar may be different, but the vocabulary is essentially the same.

As for learning, I'm just trying to learn it on my own through books, videos, and (hopefully) people that I meet here. I've been looking for ASL classes near me, and really, nothing exists since my college is in a small town. I also don't know anyone who signs, so I guess I won't really get to try it in anything other than theory until I run into someone, which is why I'm on here :P

Loosing the ASL grammar will make it....not ASL

Why do people somehow think it is ok to play around and change ASL for their own purposes?

tl;dr: I'm trying to learn ASL so I can be a good teacher and because I love laguages.

Hi! I'm Saraw, and I am a junior TESOL education (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Though I've been interested in ASL for years, I've only just started really trying to learn it recently. My goals are to use ASL (specifically the vocabulary) in my classroom, since the total body response of making a sign while knowing what it means in English can really help students remember the words in English, thus making the acquisition of the English language easier than just trying to learn it auditorily.

My personal goals for ASL is fluency in the language. Even though I'm left-handed, I think I'm picking up the individual signs alright, but I have a hard time with the grammar aspect. Since my college doesn't offer ASL courses and I don't actually know anyone who uses ASL, I'm always looking for people to practice with!

Sorry, I just read through that and it sounds like teacher mumbo-jumbo. If you don't want to be a teacher, sorry!

I'm very confused.

Using ASL to teach English to "typical" EAL/ESL hearing students (meaning those without hearing/speech/language issues) is like using Mandarin to teach Spanish.

I'm very confused.

Using ASL to teach English to "typical" EAL/ESL hearing students (meaning those without hearing/speech/language issues) is like using Mandarin to teach Spanish.

Trendy! Let's have a sip of elderberry wine with that! Whilst wearing our Birkenstocks...

Botti you are good...:wave:
.....wine and Birkenstocks while picnic-ing amidst the sunflowers with crumpets and gooseberry jam ...

I wondered similar, Anij

Okay...bad idea then...the last thing I want to do is insult a culture, so I can drop it. I do, however, still want to learn the language. Why? Because A) teachers should know it, and; B) Because signed languages are, linguistically, really interesting to study and have been interesting to me for awhile now.

Okay...bad idea then...the last thing I want to do is insult a culture, so I can drop it. I do, however, still want to learn the language. Why? Because A) teachers should know it, and; B) Because signed languages are, linguistically, really interesting to study and have been interesting to me for awhile now.

That's good. It will be good for your brain.

Back