Eggs>> incubator

It's been about 7 years since we started our flock and we ave plenty of broody hens now, but at that time I was really happy about the results of ordering both hatching eggs and day-old chicks from McMurray, and they weren't very expensive (the eggs were very fertile and we didn't lose one live chick in transport, thank goodness).

The shipped them overnight in a small box, and I showed up at the post office on my way to work to pick them up. I asked at the window if my box of chicks had arrived, postmaster checked and said he didn't think so. I was surprised and asked if they might be able to double check, I'd been told that a box of live chicks were confirmed there. The postmaster started to check again and asked where they were from. I told him it was a company down in Texas, perhaps if we were quiet he could hear them. He looked at my as though I were crazy, then found a box and started to shake it to see if he could hear the checks rattling around -- I held up my hands and begged him not to, said they were delicate. He was baffled, but it was the box I'd been waiting for. I opened them a bit to show him, inside were 12 fluffy little black chicks all chirping away! He was shocked, thought that seeing me in my suit I must be saying "live checks" not live chicks all the while.

9941550_85d89fec45.jpg
9941528_6d4b066323.jpg

That is cute your dog checking out the chicks! Did the dog try to eat any?

That is cute your dog checking out the chicks! Did the dog try to eat any?

:laugh2: Oh yes, leaving them alone would be disastrous: her teeth are still sharp at 12 years old and even today she would think they were tasty chicken nuggets. She's once gotten one in her mouth and brought him to me, fortunately hunting dog instincts took over (they aren't supposed to damage the birds, just retrieve) and she held with what's called a soft mouth, not biting, so the once tiny little guy was completely unharmed and still crowing daily.

:laugh2: Oh yes, leaving them alone would be disastrous: her teeth are still sharp at 12 years old and even today she would think they were tasty chicken nuggets. She's once gotten one in her mouth and brought him to me, fortunately hunting dog instincts took over (they aren't supposed to damage the birds, just retrieve) and she held with what's called a soft mouth, not biting, so the once tiny little guy was completely unharmed and still crowing daily.

Cute!

You should have put her in some duck hunting training when she was younger if she has that much drive and natural softmouth. FF would have been easy for her sounds like. Usually many labs have a hardmouth and I have to train it out of them so they won't tear up the birds. I want to be able to tap the muzzle without them dropping it but at the same time I don't want them to chomp down on it. I like a good steady hold. Some dogs have this more naturally than others.

Back