Eggs>> incubator

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pro or Con>> Anyone here using chicken eggs to hatch in the incubator?

At the website, I looked at the price and average 40 dollars to up? :hmm:

I don't bother- just buy new chicks from TSC or countrymax.

otherwise if you got roosters/chickens around and pan to raises chicks, I guess it don't matter what it costs to buy?

Are you raising some now ?

I don't bother- just buy new chicks from TSC or countrymax.

otherwise if you got roosters/chickens around and pan to raises chicks, I guess it don't matter what it costs to buy?

Are you raising some now ?

On Easter day>> my girls :)

I do not want my girls will get Easter's candies! :eek3:

Last year, I got nice presents with clothes and few candies for my girls. They were not exciting about it!....... I thought my girls will learn and experience with guinea bird eggs with the incubator. I know that they are very noisy birds. It's good for controlling the lyme disease deer tick because I found some ticks on my horse last year! :mad2:

:hmm:.. Easter gifts?

Please no bunny or rabbit!

Well you don't need an incubator really. You just need to keep the eggs at 75 degrees or warmer and 'turn' them every so often. Also you need to keep the 'pointy' side down or they will not hatch. I've heard of people hatching eggs this way and if I had the time, I would try hatching some eggs myself from the farm and just keep the broilers as pets. I plan to take a double yolk and see if I can hatch an abnormal chicken.

It's been about 7 years since we started our flock and we ave plenty of broody hens now, but at that time I was really happy about the results of ordering both hatching eggs and day-old chicks from McMurray, and they weren't very expensive (the eggs were very fertile and we didn't lose one live chick in transport, thank goodness).

The shipped them overnight in a small box, and I showed up at the post office on my way to work to pick them up. I asked at the window if my box of chicks had arrived, postmaster checked and said he didn't think so. I was surprised and asked if they might be able to double check, I'd been told that a box of live chicks were confirmed there. The postmaster started to check again and asked where they were from. I told him it was a company down in Texas, perhaps if we were quiet he could hear them. He looked at my as though I were crazy, then found a box and started to shake it to see if he could hear the checks rattling around -- I held up my hands and begged him not to, said they were delicate. He was baffled, but it was the box I'd been waiting for. I opened them a bit to show him, inside were 12 fluffy little black chicks all chirping away! He was shocked, thought that seeing me in my suit I must be saying "live checks" not live chicks all the while.

9941550_85d89fec45.jpg
9941528_6d4b066323.jpg

When the chickens get older, expect them to lay eggs only for about the first year then they will just taper off. However because calcium is used to make the shell a lot of hens will get osteoporosis because the calcium is being diverted from their bones to forming egg shells. You might try feeding them calcium enriched feed when they are old enough to start laying. Until then, feed em high protein to encourage growth. Good luck with your chicks!!

Pro or Con>> Anyone here using chicken eggs to hatch in the incubator?

At the website, I looked at the price and average 40 dollars to up? :hmm:

My daughters class has lil chicks that they had kept in an incubator and were able to watch them hatch :D She learned a lot about chickens, I think this is the more enjoyable approach wheres the fun in buying already hatched chicks :lol:

My daughters class has lil chicks that they had kept in an incubator and were able to watch them hatch :D She learned a lot about chickens, I think this is the more enjoyable approach wheres the fun in buying already hatched chicks :lol:

We've done both, just different experiences. We ordered live chicks that one time because I was traveling too often to be able to monitor the incubator (which was about 30 years old and not so reliable :) ) . Watching eggs for 3 weeks in an incubator is cool, but I've had a blast throughout the 7+ years we've had with these little guys since that day they came by mail :) .

I was thinking and contacted with siamese breeder in NY. Maybe get kitty instead hatching the eggs? :hmm:

Good news!!

First..... The cat breeder said. She has the pregnancy cat. She determines select the " show kitty" and very likely not ready by Easter's day..

I maybe will be mailing to deposit and reserve the standard poodle cream puppy just birth two days ago!! along with 6 puppies!

I will update it later! :D

Good news!!

First..... The cat breeder said. She has the pregnancy cat. She determines select the " show kitty" and very likely not ready by Easter's day..

I maybe will be mailing to deposit and reserve the standard poodle cream puppy just birth two days ago!! along with 6 puppies!

I will update it later! :D

Perfect choice! Poodles are genius dogs! Mine learns anything you want to teach and she is nine years old. :)

:wave:lots of Poodles in agility!

my very mentor <dog> trainer had/has chickens - she has horses too. One time I visited with her at her home and met her horses and we went to see her chickens and get some fresh eggs from them:)
I loved all the different colors-

Back