Cruise control tech....

I remember my dad's new 1963 Oldsmobile. He had to special order seat belts. They were not mandatory for a few more years. The radio was AM only. FM was an option. No head rests, drum brakes, mechanical distributor and a completely metal dashboard.

I believe I still felt safer driving that old Olds back in the 60's. :lol:

Do you happen to remember if the Olds was a 88 or 98? An 88 was the last demonstrator that my dad had as he died just as the 64's were coming out in the fall of '63. Our demonstrators had had seat belts for several years before that. Dad was very high on their use. So when I bought a '58 Chevy Delray with nothing on it a year or so later I really missed using them. So I had them added.

Do you happen to remember if the Olds was a 88 or 98? An 88 was the last demonstrator that my dad had as he died just as the 64's were coming out in the fall of '63. Our demonstrators had had seat belts for several years before that. Dad was very high on their use. So when I bought a '58 Chevy Delray with nothing on it a year or so later I really missed using them. So I had them added.

It was a Dynamic 88. I believe the engine was 394 cu in. My dad ordered it how he wanted it since he worked at Fisher Body in Lansing, MI. It was dark blue. I used to drive it to high school. No power steering, windows or brakes. Never realized how hard it was until I drove a car with.

Lucky! My bike doesn't have one, but the throttle is a bit sticky, so it kind of acts like one..lol

My United Motors V2C-650S did not come with cruise. I ordered it online. When you twist the throttle to the speed you want, push the lever down with your thumb and it holds it there. To release, flip up the lever and the throttle rolls back to idle or wherever you want to hold it.

I used to own a Honda CB750 with cruise built in. You got to speed and pushed a button to hold. To release, increase the throttle a touch and it released.

Last edited:
My United Motors V2C-650S did not come with cruise. I ordered it online. When you twist the throttle to the speed you want, push the lever down with your thumb and it holds it there. To release, flip up the lever and the throttle rolls back to idol or wherever you want to hold it.

I used to own a Honda CB750 with cruise built in. You got to speed and pushed a button to hold. To release, increase the throttle a touch and it released.

Do you ever weave your bike to warm your tires? I do this but when I do, I always feel a cop is going to see it and pull me over for weaving in my lane. I just like to have maximum grip from warmed up tires, but maybe it's just me.

I don't think the EX500 has a built in cruise control, but my throttle is so sticky on it's own, it kind of acts like one..lol

I have been riding motorcycles for over 9 years and I've never weaved my bike to warm up my tires.... Never heard of anyone doing it either.... Unless that's something you have to do with a small bike.

I have been riding motorcycles for over 9 years and I've never weaved my bike to warm up my tires.... Never heard of anyone doing it either.... Unless that's something you have to do with a small bike.

Just read an article and weaving works on cars, but not so much on bikes. I need to find an efficient way to warm my tires as I live in an area with lots of corners and I need as much grip as I can get (Perpetually paranoid of insufficient grip and sliding).

How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

My United Motors V2C-650S did not come with cruise. I ordered it online. When you twist the throttle to the speed you want, push the lever down with your thumb and it holds it there. To release, flip up the lever and the throttle rolls back to idol or wherever you want to hold it.

Link? What's it call? I need one for my cruise too.

Do you ever weave your bike to warm your tires? I do this but when I do, I always feel a cop is going to see it and pull me over for weaving in my lane. I just like to have maximum grip from warmed up tires, but maybe it's just me.

I don't think the EX500 has a built in cruise control, but my throttle is so sticky on it's own, it kind of acts like one..lol

I never needed to warm the tires, even when I rode in MI. Only NASCAR drivers do for new tires so they don't spin on restart.

Link? What's it call? I need one for my cruise too.

I buy from Ragingparts.com. The company is primarily for Hyosung, but if I remember, the cruise was a universal kit. Measure your handlebar size because there are two choices.

Cruise control:

Attachments

• DSCN0711.jpg
    DSCN0711.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0712.jpg
    DSCN0712.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0713.jpg
    DSCN0713.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 8
TinCanSailor That's called a throttle lock, which isn't exactly cruise control. A true cruise control maintains same speed even if you're doing downhill or uphill, there are fancy ones for motorcycles, BMW motorcycles have them.

One downside of the throttle lock is that its not easy to disengage, which can be scary in a high traffic situation. I use the Cramp Buster ( Motorcycle Accessories - Crampbuster Motorcycle Cruise Control Wide Oversize CB4 ) It's cheap and safe, I don't have to squeeze my hands and gives me a break and yet it's safe in that I can instantly slow down/speed up.

TinCanSailor That's called a throttle lock, which isn't exactly cruise control. A true cruise control maintains same speed even if you're doing downhill or uphill, there are fancy ones for motorcycles, BMW motorcycles have them.

One downside of the throttle lock is that its not easy to disengage, which can be scary in a high traffic situation. I use the Cramp Buster ( Motorcycle Accessories - Crampbuster Motorcycle Cruise Control Wide Oversize CB4 ) It's cheap and safe, I don't have to squeeze my hands and gives me a break and yet it's safe in that I can instantly slow down/speed up.

I will give you the name. My package said "cruise control". My throttle lock can easily be overridden by turning back the throttle. The lock only holds it firmer so the spring does not return to idle.

I gave up my Crampbuster because I sometimes ride 100-250 miles a day which does not allow me to relax my wrist pressure. Also if speed limits change, I sometimes had to roll the Crampbuster all the way around to the new setting while underway. Many times that is hard when riding in a group.

Recently, rode 200 miles with the lock and I liked it much better.

I would be too scared to buy a bike with cruise control, what if it engages when im entering a corner, this is same reason i wont fit a throttle rocker...no thanks i'll pass

We had AC in our cars since the 50's but no seat belts until I was a teenager. Even then, the first belts were just belts, no shoulder straps, and were a bear to adjust. They were more like airplane seat belts.

No car seats for infants or toddlers back then. I remember my younger brother was in a so-called car seat. It had metal hooks that rested over the back of the front seat. It had an unpadded metal frame, and a plastic toy steering wheel to play with. A death trap for sure! Of course, in an impact, anyone would be blinded or impaled on the chrome knobs of the dashboard.

they bring back memories...first car vauxal viva then Ford Anglia wish i kept no cruise control,i dont see point become lazy driver...no car now

they bring back memories...first car vauxal viva then Ford Anglia wish i kept no cruise control,i dont see point become lazy driver...no car now

When out on the open highway cruse control can keep you from letting your foot get tooooo heavy and thus speeding. That is the reason I added it to a Pontiac back in 1978. I found it was the type of car where I didn't have the sense of how fast I was going as well as I did in others.

I find it saves petrol because it maintains more or less the exact speed and on long trips, keeps my foot from being sore.

Back