Colors of Fall

I was told by a wildlife expert is a very bad idea to feed wild animals as it made then have less fear of people and they could too bold and get too close to people homes and the poor animal end up getting shot. I was told the coyote could be getting feed by someone and that was why is was not frighten about getting right next to me. I reported this to the ACO and State wildlife agency and I was told if the coyote get near me again I need to call an environmental cop and they'll come out and shot the coyote

Very true...I hear about it all the time from the folks at Wolf's Hollow in Ipswitch, where they care for Wolves and "hybred dogs." Feeding animals makes them think humans are harmless, they come by more frequently, and get killed that way. Best rule to go by, if you love animals, let them find their own food and keep your distance. Everyone stays safe that way, and they get to live out their natural life.

Laura

Three more from a recent hike...

2zp594j.jpg

2rm8q2w.jpg

20ky8ig.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyRAvvqa4I&feature=related]Hunter takes on a bear - YouTube[/ame]

magnificant pics...i seen east coast in autum but these pics are beautiful

Very true...I hear about it all the time from the folks at Wolf's Hollow in Ipswitch, where they care for Wolves and "hybred dogs." Feeding animals makes them think humans are harmless, they come by more frequently, and get killed that way. Best rule to go by, if you love animals, let them find their own food and keep your distance. Everyone stays safe that way, and they get to live out their natural life.

Laura

I went to Wolf's Hollow too and they me told about how dangerous it was to breed dogs with wolves. The coyote that came right up to my dog and me more than likely was being feed by someone. Coyotes by nature have fear of people , I saw one coyote run right by me as fast as he could. The person feeding the coyote had just sign that poor coyote's death certificate! The guy who started Wolf's Hollow has dies I wonder who run the place now.

Ever notice that the best pictures of fall colors are taken on cloudy days? I was hoping for cloudy when I went to the park, but it was sunny. Next time it was cloudy, the winds were 60+ mph, with heavy rain ~ thanks Sandy. No leaves left.

Ever notice that the best pictures of fall colors are taken on cloudy days? I was hoping for cloudy when I went to the park, but it was sunny. Next time it was cloudy, the winds were 60+ mph, with heavy rain ~ thanks Sandy. No leaves left.

Yes! I love the muted colors on a cloudy day.

I lived in NH for 16 years, been here in SC for 6, falls are soooo not the same. But to not deal with the snow I'll take the no pretty leaves trade off. yep yep yep. Your pics are lovely Stinhauer, and yes that tree is totally flipping you off.

I went to Wolf's Hollow too and they me told about how dangerous it was to breed dogs with wolves. The coyote that came right up to my dog and me more than likely was being feed by someone. Coyotes by nature have fear of people , I saw one coyote run right by me as fast as he could. The person feeding the coyote had just sign that poor coyote's death certificate! The guy who started Wolf's Hollow has dies I wonder who run the place now.

His wife and son...and the place is still very much alive and well, thank God. They're good people and they've done a lot for the care and education of wolves. I should plan another visit soon. It's fun when the cold weather comes, the wolves really become active in the winter. :)

Laura

I lived in NH for 16 years, been here in SC for 6, falls are soooo not the same. But to not deal with the snow I'll take the no pretty leaves trade off. yep yep yep....
I know what you mean. :giggle:

His wife and son...and the place is still very much alive and well, thank God. They're good people and they've done a lot for the care and education of wolves. I should plan another visit soon. It's fun when the cold weather comes, the wolves really become active in the winter. :)

Laura

Yeah , I am worried about the coyote living near my condo , I bet it looking for more food to eat and it checking my dog out for a meal!! Yes it is a fun place to go to, the wolves are beautiful animals and they're getting wiped out. :(

You can domesticate wolves and keep them as a pet. You can never tame the wild out of a coyote.

Coydog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually that's not true...wolves, like all wild animals, are lousy pets. I'm sure the folks that care for wild animals would agree. One of the main points that the people at Wolf's Hollow always mention is that wolves aren't "Fido" and shouldn't be treated as such.

Wolf Hollow Ipswich, MA Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to the Preservation of Wolves.

They're pack animals and trying to domesticate them only hurts them and places them in danger. Wolf's Hollow has in fact adopted several of these hybrid animals that become uncontrollable for owners once they reached adulthood. It is a huge mistake to try and tame them whether we're talking about bears, lions, wolves, foxes, or whatever.

This gentleman is a leading authority on wolves and the link will take you to his personal website, where you can ask him personally on whether it's possible to tame a wild animal - or if it's a good idea...but don't stop with him if you're not convinced:

L. David Mech

Another gentleman who has years of experience on the subject and created the wonderful PBS production called "Wolves at Our Door."

Living With Wolves

And this lady has a whole site on why it's always a bad idea to try and tame wolves and discusses why it's sadly a growing problem:

Jennifer McCarthy - World Class Dog Training: Wolf Dogs

Laura

Edit to add Ms. McCarthy's final comments. I'm adding this because it really frightens me when people talk about feeding bears Marshmallows or thinking they can tame a wild animal...in this case, a wolf:

"Ultimately, it becomes obvious that even under the most ideal circumstances wild animals belong in the wilderness – not in cages. Yet as you read this, there exists nearly 500,000 captive wolves and hybrids in the United States alone. There are only an estimated 4,000 wild wolves in the contiguous US today. The 100-fold difference dramatically illustrates the effect our American culture has had on this predator. Sadly, this disparity will not soon disappear. Wild wolves are making a slow comeback, but they are facing great political hurdles. While wild wolves have to fight for every pup born and every winter survived, the number of captive wolves and hybrids is rising. Thanks to our seemingly insatiable need to feel a connection with the same wilderness we are destroying (whether through domination, control or ownership), litters of captive wolves and hybrids are bred every year. Each puppy born in a cage to delight us, must life a "half-life" behind bars. We can be their friends, companions and even saviors, but in the end, we are still their captors. When will we learn to stop playing God and take responsibility for the lives that we create? Eighty-percent of the estimated 250,000 wolf hybrid puppies sold this spring alone will not live to see their second year of life. Those that die will, unfortunately, only be replaced by an even greater number of puppies for sale next year. We need to ask ourselves important questions, so that in time we, as a society, can come to grips with this problem.

• When will human kind be satisfied in knowing wild nature exists without our wanting to control, dominate, and own it?
  • When will those responsible for the continued breeding of these animals finally realize that part wild/part domestic animals do not, under nearly every single circumstance, belong living as pets in someone's home?
  • When will the population of wild wolves finally exceed the number of wolves doomed to "half-lives" in cages?
Please if you are considering buying a wolf hybrid puppy, think of the consequences and whether or not you are prepared for them. Consider instead, buying a domestic dog, possibly a northern breed such as the husky or malamute, or taking in someone else's hybrid that they can no longer keep. If you already own a hybrid, please spay or vasectomize the animal. Don't knowingly contribute to the growing surplus of unwanted hybrids. With determination, a little insight into what or whom you are dealing with, and a lot of sturdy fencing, most owners can provide a home for their wolf or wolf hybrid, but as equal, intelligent, independent friends, not pets."

Actually that's not true...wolves, like all wild animals, are lousy pets. I'm sure the folks that care for wild animals would agree. One of the main points that the people at Wolf's Hollow always mention is that wolves aren't "Fido" and shouldn't be treated as such.

Wolf Hollow Ipswich, MA Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to the Preservation of Wolves.

They're pack animals and trying to domesticate them only hurts them and places them in danger. Wolf's Hollow has in fact adopted several of these hybrid animals that become uncontrollable for owners once they reached adulthood. It is a huge mistake to try and tame them whether we're talking about bears, lions, wolves, foxes, or whatever.

This gentleman is a leading authority on wolves and the link will take you to his personal website, where you can ask him personally on whether it's possible to tame a wild animal - or if it's a good idea...but don't stop with him if you're not convinced:

L. David Mech

Another gentleman who has years of experience on the subject and created the wonderful PBS production called "Wolves at Our Door."

Living With Wolves

And this lady has a whole site on why it's always a bad idea to try and tame wolves and discusses why it's sadly a growing problem:

Jennifer McCarthy - World Class Dog Training: Wolf Dogs

Laura

Edit to add Ms. McCarthy's final comments. I'm adding this because it really frightens me when people talk about feeding bears Marshmallows or thinking they can tame a wild animal...in this case, a wolf:

"Ultimately, it becomes obvious that even under the most ideal circumstances wild animals belong in the wilderness – not in cages. Yet as you read this, there exists nearly 500,000 captive wolves and hybrids in the United States alone. There are only an estimated 4,000 wild wolves in the contiguous US today. The 100-fold difference dramatically illustrates the effect our American culture has had on this predator. Sadly, this disparity will not soon disappear. Wild wolves are making a slow comeback, but they are facing great political hurdles. While wild wolves have to fight for every pup born and every winter survived, the number of captive wolves and hybrids is rising. Thanks to our seemingly insatiable need to feel a connection with the same wilderness we are destroying (whether through domination, control or ownership), litters of captive wolves and hybrids are bred every year. Each puppy born in a cage to delight us, must life a "half-life" behind bars. We can be their friends, companions and even saviors, but in the end, we are still their captors. When will we learn to stop playing God and take responsibility for the lives that we create? Eighty-percent of the estimated 250,000 wolf hybrid puppies sold this spring alone will not live to see their second year of life. Those that die will, unfortunately, only be replaced by an even greater number of puppies for sale next year. We need to ask ourselves important questions, so that in time we, as a society, can come to grips with this problem.

• When will human kind be satisfied in knowing wild nature exists without our wanting to control, dominate, and own it?
  • When will those responsible for the continued breeding of these animals finally realize that part wild/part domestic animals do not, under nearly every single circumstance, belong living as pets in someone's home?
  • When will the population of wild wolves finally exceed the number of wolves doomed to "half-lives" in cages?
Please if you are considering buying a wolf hybrid puppy, think of the consequences and whether or not you are prepared for them. Consider instead, buying a domestic dog, possibly a northern breed such as the husky or malamute, or taking in someone else's hybrid that they can no longer keep. If you already own a hybrid, please spay or vasectomize the animal. Don't knowingly contribute to the growing surplus of unwanted hybrids. With determination, a little insight into what or whom you are dealing with, and a lot of sturdy fencing, most owners can provide a home for their wolf or wolf hybrid, but as equal, intelligent, independent friends, not pets."

No, I am not considering buying a wolf ;)

Origin of the domestic dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Studies have shown that some wolf pups taken at an early age and reared by humans are easily tamed and socialized.[8] At least one study has demonstrated that adult wolves can be successfully socialized.[9] However, according to other researchers attempts to socialize wolves after the pups reach 21 days of age are very time-consuming and seldom practical or reliable in achieving success.[10]

Just saying that coyotes cannot be tamed, but wolves can.

You can domesticate wolves and keep them as a pet. You can never tame the wild out of a coyote.

Coydog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think taming wild animals is a very selfish thing to do them. Once they're tamed they lose their fear of man and this could cost it their life. Man has upset the balance of nature so much and we now have coyotes living in our back yard. That coyote that came right up to me is losing it fear of people and I was told if this happen again the coyote will have to be killed as it getting TOO bold . And this may be happening because some fool it feeding it. We need stop treating wild animals like pets and let them stay wild.

Back