CI Failure? Support please!

Nucleus Freedom is N5's predecessor .. implanted since 2004-5 or something like that.. N5 was recalled about six months ago, so they "returned" to previous implant generation as it is reliable :)

And regarding recalls - all companies have recalls sometimes. AB had recently one too.

AB's recall ended in September around the time Cochlear issued a recall on their N5 internal devices. Freedom implant may be older, but it still works well and is reliable, and works with the N5 processors. but yeah.

AB's recall ended in September around the time Cochlear issued a recall on their N5 internal devices. Freedom implant may be older, but it still works well and is reliable, and works with the N5 processors. but yeah.

So funny because I went with Cochlear America last year simply because AB was off the market due to recalls. Now its the opposite.

I am in the process of deciding which brand to go with. I was thinking the Nucleus5 but now I am even more confused. How do I decide? They gave me a package on the Nucleus5 and the AB Harmony. My doctor likes the Nucleus better. This is a huge decision, I need help!!!!!

I am in the process of deciding which brand to go with. I was thinking the Nucleus5 but now I am even more confused. How do I decide? They gave me a package on the Nucleus5 and the AB Harmony. My doctor likes the Nucleus better. This is a huge decision, I need help!!!!!

Doctors perfer cochlear over AB because AB been having more recalls than cochlear america.

The internals are basically the same, its all about the future proof and techs of the processors.

So it narrows down to cochlear's n5 or AB's harmony. But don't forget, they are working on future BTE processors, who knows which is gonna be better.

Overall, IMO, i believe the n5 wins.
Why you ask? Because, its smaller, sexier, longer battery life (by a few hours), and it seems more of a "finshed" product...

However, I believe that the harmony has a much better sound system. That is due to the fact that they offer t-mic, which is the mic in the canal. N5 has two mics on the processor. It sucks because hair and wind sounds get into the mics unlike the t-mic.
T mic seems to gather more "important" sounds.

Advanced Bionics also has a new processor called the Neptune. It's waterproof if you want to hear when swimming and such, but can also be used for normal everyday use. Neptune is a really small (about the size of a lipstick tube) off the ear processor (body worn), can be worn in the hair, clipped to collar of shirt or tie, etc.etc.etc there's several different wearing options for it. And a new smaller BTE is also in the works (AB is working with Phonak on this, might be available by 2013 or 2014 but not certain at this time). I'm hearing DAI connection is much better with the Neptune than with the Harmony. With the Harmony, you have to take the T-mic hook off, put on the DAI hook, connect the DAI cable, and you're set. Neptune, just plug DAI directly into the Neptune and iPod/,p3/whatever, no need to change things out.

Just keep in mind if you go Cochlear, the internal would be the Freedom, but the external processor would be the N5. I don't really know much about Cochlear's devices, since I'm more focused on AB for myself. But they do have a good product too.

Look at the information you've gotten, compare the 2 company's devices, make pros and cons of each device, and go from there. What do you like about each device, what do you not like, what sort of accessories do they have that you think you could really use, etc. It is really a lot to think about. You can't really go wrong with either device though, they both do what they're supposed to do.

AB and Phonak HA combined together ,It is very exciting in the future .This is what i like about because i have worn 2 phonak ha 32 years then went into digital HA .That was amazing sound i ever had and have learn new sound i never heard it b4 in my life ,I was curious hearing new sound ,what the hell is that ? i ask my family or friend and learn from there till nov 2011 i lost my both hearing
Them 3 cochlear implant brand are very superb technology and i research lots lots so i know what i am going for CI ,
I am canidated for CI so can't wait
zajko and cd thank 4 input

Don't listen to doctor said this is best for you therefore it is up to you to pick which implant you want.So it is design & look ,implant different shapes ,speech processor etc etc Make sure u are comfortable with it and yes is very huge decision ,i already mind my mind up what i having :D
So good luck with ur decision and wish u all the best ,keep it updated ;)

hope the re-implantation goes well and that you don't encounter any problems with it.

Hi all, I have been reimplanted two weeks ago. It is now Nucleus Freedom inside (instead of Nucleus 5). And I am awaiting for my Connection on 11.6. Hope everything goes well this time. Cheers.

Hi Alex, hoping for al the best this time around!

You may have been using the terms loosely bc most people here think they are one and the same because the new internal CI500 series was launched at the same time as the Nucleus 5 processor, and people tended to refer to both with shorthand N5, but just in case you don't know, the Nucleus 5 and Nucleus Freedoms are processors, and are the external components that do the hard work (and neither of these were recalled). You probably got reimplanted with a Nucleus CI24RE Series implant when they replaced your faulty CI512 (the recalled batch of the 500 series), which works as a receiver and is fully compatible with both the Nucleus Freedom and Nucleus 5 processor. So you can still use and get all the benefit of the Nucleus 5, except that your new internal component is a slightly larger shape, certain components and electrodes are positioned a little differently. I get the impression that size /shape was the biggest difference and the other changes in the two generations are forward-thinking, anticipating new processor technology that's not yet in place -- each generation of new implants across the brands all do that to anticipate what's coming next. We find that combination of a non CI512 implant and the Nucleus 5 processor to be excellent, I hope you find the same. Good luck with activation!

Thank you for your explanation, GrendelQ. Yes, lots of people think Nucleus 5 is the inner part. All this can be confusing indeed. Cheers.

Today I made a conclusion

That my new implant is working better than the previous one. I think my adjustment difficulties with the previous implant were partially because it hasn't been working properly from the start.

That my new implant is working better than the previous one. I think my adjustment difficulties with the previous implant were partially because it hasn't been working properly from the start.

What was the problem with the setup from the beginning? And how long did it take?

Back