CI Failure? Support please!

AlexOrlov

Reaction score
Hi all, I am from Tel Aviv, Israel.

I have been Implanted nearly 8 months ago (Nucleus 5).

During the recent days, I noticed some decline in the Implant performance:
it now takes longer for the Implant to start working - means to actually start getting the sound. Same happens when I switch between programmes - it takes at least a minute or two before it switches on. The processor itself is working, the sound is just not coming inside.

I also noticed the waiting time to be longer and longer.

I went to Cochlear offices in my city. The checked every piece of the outer processor and told me it is absolutely fine. Their advice was to contact the hospital and now I am awaiting for the hospital appointment in order to check the inner part.

Has anybody here experienced this, and if so, what the solution was?

I am getting sligtly nervous because I know about Nucleus 5 recall.

Cheers,
Al

Perhaps to ease your worries the recall is specifically for the Nucleus CI500 series implant range. Not all Nucleus 5s.

If you can find your exact model number it may ease your mind a little.

However you do need to get this checked straight away and it is certainly something that I have never experienced. Perhaps you should email or try talk to somebody either directly or indirectly.

Thank you. It is Nucleus CP810 indeed.
I shaved my head, washed it and it improved big time.
However it still takes longer than usual shifting between programmes.

Weird.

It does sounds like you need to have a intergrity test to check the performance of the implant.

CP810 is the sound processor

CI500 is the series of internal implants

CR110 is the remote

Check out Cochlear website they should have advice page.

perhaps, hearing parents of kids with CI would know what to answer you soon.

perhaps, hearing parents of kids with CI would know what to answer you soon.

HA!

dont worry AlexOrlov, I am a profound deaf 17 year old, not a hearing parent.
Anyway, don't worry, they have tools that test each electron in the implant. If one has failed, its something to talk about, but if many had failed, you will be recommended to have surgery (99% sure they will do it for free).
But i think the issue is that it requires a map, maybe it got messed up somehow? I turned off all beeps on my process and it shifts programs in like a sec, turns on no time.

HA!

Anyway, don't worry, they have tools that test each electron in the implant. If one has failed, its something to talk about, but if many had failed, you will be recommended to have surgery (99% sure they will do it for free).
But i think the issue is that it requires a map, maybe it got messed up somehow? I turned off all beeps on my process and it shifts programs in like a sec, turns on no time.

what? bbaseballboy?

Thank you for your replies.

Meanwhile, my Implant has competely stopped working. It does seem like the problem is internal. After the weekend I am going to the hospital to check it out.

Meanwhile, my Implant has competely stopped working. It does seem like the problem is internal. After the weekend I am going to the hospital to check it out.

Check the cable between the processor and the antennae to see if it is loose or broken.

Also, try banging your head on a steel pole to see if that helps.

(just kidding on the last part)

I don't have Cochlear model implant but understand that in the operating room the internal processor is throughly tested that all is okay. I was implanted at Sunnybrook/Toronto.
Whether this additional procedure is done elsewhere-unknown to me.

The hospital or implant center should be able to test your internal piece but I would change all the wires and if it worked better once you shaved, then you might need a stronger magnet, which is an easy fix.

Yes the Implant has been tested during the surgery

However it is not working at the moment.

I have checked all the outer parts, changed cables, magnet (when the Implant has been working yet). It didn't help.

I am pretty pessimistic about all this. However, only the visit at the hosp on Sunday (working day in Israel) will clear things out.

oh sorry to hear that ,nucleus 5 is off my lists so i either go 4 AB or MED EL ,
I cannot believe that nucleus 5 failure after u had 4 8 month :O

oh sorry to hear that ,nucleus 5 is off my lists so i either go 4 AB or MED EL ,
I cannot believe that nucleus 5 failure after u had 4 8 month :O

Cochlear has gone back to implanting the Nucleus Freedom internal implant, which works with the N5 processor. They haven't implanted any N5 internal devices since the recall. Just so you know.

Cochlear has gone back to implanting the Nucleus Freedom internal implant, which works with the N5 processor. They haven't implanted any N5 internal devices since the recall. Just so you know.

Nucleus freedom is oldest implant ?? i am just curious and still learning about CI :) ,They haven't implanted any N5 internal implant device since the recall ? when was this happen ? , I think AB is way more advance the rest ,Just advanced technology that what i like about but i am not 100 % sure yet still searching lol :D

Back