CAPD...whaddya guys think?

capdlady

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm an 18 yr old college student and just had a question and wanted to see what you guys think of this.

I have very severe central auditory processing disorder - I'm in the second percentile for my age, just got tested at the campus clinic - and people are always asking me if I am deaf because I have to have conversation repeated back to me many times.

Before I went to school, over the summer I tried to work at a McDonalds. I didnt tell him in the job interview of my LD and then I got hired and it didn't take long for my boss to figure out something was "wrong" with me. I told him my situation and he still did not understand and said I should get hearing aids! I told him I have near perfect hearing and that it is a language processing issue. He suggested I wear a button on my shirt or hat so "customers would know what they are dealing with."

I told my parents about it and they said to quit. I agreed with my parents and I did. I don't regret it at all, I was not crazy about the atmosphere and it was rushed. Thank God I'm going to school!

It's a year later and I doubt I can do anything about it now but I was just wondering that if you were in my situation, how would you have handled it?

I appreciate any response, just be constructive if you are going to criticize.

Thanks,
CAPDLady

I would never wear a button that says "I'm deaf" because someone suggest it. I would choose to do it willingly though.

:wave:capdlady

I was diagnosed with specifically math LD in college. While I have never been formally diagnosed with CAPD, I have issues that support that possibility as well as am new hoh. I had a job where my boss was really affected by those two issues and it ultimately did not work out, but some things I did to try to help my supervisor work with me were: to explain exactly what each thing was about and how it affected me, examples of ways he could work with me so everyone was successful; I wrote things down a lot and reviewed with him. I tried to discuss things from viewpoint of how his working with me would benefit the business. But not everyone is willing to do things differently. His asking you to wear a button strikes me as minimally in very poor taste/unreasonable and I'd wonder about breakage of ADA-

I agree with A - if I chose, I'd wear something, but not cause someone else told me.

i am considering wearing a lipread/asl fingerspelling button(or i have audio processing disorder) as most think my fm is a walkman grrrr

i also have capd

My daughter has CAPD. If people have a problem repeating things to her or can't handle that she doesn't understand, she just politely tells them that they need to understand things from her side before they make judgments. She tries hard, but most people are not understanding.

Is it easier to read written words? If so, setting up the situation to involve written communication instead of auditory information would make sense. I'm grateful for email! Just a thought. . .

Is it easier to read written words? If so, setting up the situation to involve written communication instead of auditory information would make sense. I'm grateful for email! Just a thought. . .

Well- for my daughter, she has problems with both written and oral processing.

Ohh telling your boss... Well, I had to at the end, I work in a noisy place called Happyland :P and they don't talk, they yell because it's hard to understand everybody. As soon as I came to work they started signing a little bit with me, my coworkers are nice and the costumers... well I don't care :P

Hello Everyone!

I'm an 18 yr old college student and just had a question and wanted to see what you guys think of this.

I have very severe central auditory processing disorder - I'm in the second percentile for my age, just got tested at the campus clinic - and people are always asking me if I am deaf because I have to have conversation repeated back to me many times.

Before I went to school, over the summer I tried to work at a McDonalds. I didnt tell him in the job interview of my LD and then I got hired and it didn't take long for my boss to figure out something was "wrong" with me. I told him my situation and he still did not understand and said I should get hearing aids! I told him I have near perfect hearing and that it is a language processing issue. He suggested I wear a button on my shirt or hat so "customers would know what they are dealing with."

I told my parents about it and they said to quit. I agreed with my parents and I did. I don't regret it at all, I was not crazy about the atmosphere and it was rushed. Thank God I'm going to school!

It's a year later and I doubt I can do anything about it now but I was just wondering that if you were in my situation, how would you have handled it?

Thanks,
CAPDLady

what do you use at work for your capd? do you use hearing aids or an fm system? do you have any hearing loss? its common for people to have hearing loss as well with CAPD

what do you use at work for your capd? do you use hearing aids or an fm system? do you have any hearing loss? its common for people to have hearing loss as well with CAPD

OK i have capd and found hearing aids useless but my fm system(phonak smartlink first genration and phonak mylink) wonderful and i use it everywhere(including at ski field) and i have mild testable loss as well as capd

hope that helps

"He suggested I wear a button on my shirt or hat so "customers would know what they are dealing with."

this tell what kind of boss you were dealing with! what a jerk the guy is. I would never wear a button saying " I am HOH'! I think that is going is to be really hard to get people to understand what CAPD it. It is would be great if you could get a CART so you could read what people say to you. I wonder if
some center for independent living could help you get a CART.
I tell people all the time that I hear them but I can't understand a word and if they could repeat it, and the person will start yelling at me!

I wonder... Doesn't McDonalds have a picture menu system for HoH/deaf customers? could this system have worked in reverse for you and customers? I guess I am a problem solver at heart and would try to work everything out before giving up... but that boss would have really urked me if he took an attitude. More details would be needed to really determine a true opinion of the whole situation. My friend who is deaf works at a very large store with a register and wears a name tag that says she is hearing impaired (her choice) with a hearing dog and lip reads and has few problems with a picture system in place in case.

Response to McDonald's Manager

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the McDonald's manager. First, what that manager did was out of compliance with the ADA. S/he should have provided you with the ADA accommodations such as assistive listening device/s and other items as appropriate.

Second, what that manager (a person in corporate leadership who is modeling for other Americans) suggested and said to you was discriminatory and should be reported to the ADA and human resources disability division of McDonald's at the very least. That type of ignorance and insensitive language ("what their dealing with" as if you are some sort of beast?) should not be tolerated.

People can find loving ways to remind others about discrimination and the law that protects completely valuable people in our country who have a right to equal access and human dignity.

Best of luck to you moving forward.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks,
CAPDLady[/QUOTE]

Hello Everyone!

Thanks,
CAPDLady

I have APD too and have been given a lot of ridicule for my LD, plus I've had customers yell at me (sometimes because I can't hear them and they're trying to speak up for my sake, and other times because they're trying to be rude and actually yell at me, calling me stupid or slow. Even my eighth grade teacher didn't understand and never tried to). Honestly, the best thing I think anyone can do is take it with a grain of salt because they're just missing out on what an awesome person you are! If you feel bad about having this LD, don't be because you are a wonderful person and you shouldn't let anything stop you :) I'm sorry to hear about this bad experience, I know it can be hurtful! If I were in your situation I would have done the same. At the end of the day, chalk it up to ignorance because some people just don't understand. :wave:

Back