CAN I live alone in USA when my dad and mom will not help me

deafsusan

Reaction score
Hi all, I am Susan, 26 years old. Deaf, Hongkong people so my English is not good.I hope you don’t mind.

I want to live in USA(DC) because hongkong will become a part of C/h/i/n/a so I decide leave hongkong when I get greencard.

Originally, I will looking for office job in DC but my friend said that I should study university before looking for office job so I want to know that can I live alone in USA and study university(tuition) when I am helpless….?

So i hope you all can give some advice if you have.

Hi all, I am Susan, 26 years old. Deaf, Hongkong people so my English is not good.I hope you don’t mind.

I want to live in USA(DC) because hongkong will become a part of C/h/i/n/a so I decide leave hongkong when I get greencard.

Originally, I will looking for office job in DC but my friend said that I should study university before looking for office job so I want to know that can I live alone in USA and study university(tuition) when I am helpless….?

I heard about many government problems in Hong Kong, especially kidnapping of dissents by Chinese government and taken into mainland.

If you are in danger or Chinese government's target so you could flee to Singapore, Taiwan (probably not safe due to high risk), Philippines or Japan as refugee, in case if you can't get green card.

As in US, it is difficult without families, but China isn't danger to US standard so they may not accept as refugee.

#2,#3 Thank you for welcome me:wave:

I heard about many government problems in Hong Kong, especially kidnapping of dissents by Chinese government and taken into mainland.

If you are in danger or Chinese government's target so you could flee to Singapore, Taiwan (probably not safe due to high risk), Philippines or Japan as refugee, in case if you can't get green card.

As in US, it is difficult without families, but China isn't danger to US standard so they may not accept as refugee.

I think I am not refugee...maybe..
Deaf person really can not live alone in US?:cry:

^I would say there is always a way. Go for it. :D

Deaf American people can live alone in the US.

If you can legally enter the US, you can live alone.

American Deaf people can live where they want.

I can't really help with the legal issues regarding moving to USA but I can tell you to try to avoid living in DC. The cost of living is very high there and even if you find a job you'd be struggling to pay for a basic life.

If you're wanting a deaf-focused education try looking at galludet university or do a google for the various deaf colleges in the united states.

And if you have an idea which university you'd like to attend see if you can reach out to the admissions office or some other contact to see if it's even possible for you to move to US?

You can live alone if you can afford - it isn't cheap.

It may be cheaper for you to live with roommates in US. Do you have a job in US?

There is one thing you need to have someone as sponsor for you to live in USA or Canada. A sponsor is someone who is willing to help you get your green card or citizenship if you want to live in USA. He or she will be able to voice on behalf of you coming to live in USA. So you need to know if you know someone that you can trust to help you get your green card. You don't have to get married. Just someone that is there to help you. Deaf people can come into any countries if they want to live anywhere in the world.

For me, I was alone traveling to Canada to check out my ancestors in both Ontario and Quebec but then I ended up on the south island on Lake Huron which is almost close to Michigan. I met my future husband who wanted to be a sponsor for me to stay in Canada so he helped me and voiced for me on my behalf. I became a permanent resident in Canada for over 18 years almost close to 20 years. I love Canada. Now I am an old lady and need to be with my sister and her children including my son who live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. There is no problem for you to travel alone as long as you have a passport and maybe visa like going to college for at least 2 to 4 years of studying.

Welcome to AllDeaf Forum. :D

My friends and two children going live in Florida they have shop out there but it costing a lot of money which I don't understand they paying yearly rather than getting citizenship straight away I did not understand their explanation

Welcome to our community. Unfortunately, I live in Russia, and had never been to the United States. So I can not give you advice.

^I would say there is always a way. Go for it. :D
Thanks for your encouragement

Deaf American people can live alone in the US.

If you can legally enter the US, you can live alone.

American Deaf people can live where they want.
Thank you for your answer
Can you tell me more alone deafness how do living easily? And, I also want to get office job...(In HK, my work is clerk)

I can't really help with the legal issues regarding moving to USA but I can tell you to try to avoid living in DC. The cost of living is very high there and even if you find a job you'd be struggling to pay for a basic life.

If you're wanting a deaf-focused education try looking at galludet university or do a google for the various deaf colleges in the united states.

And if you have an idea which university you'd like to attend see if you can reach out to the admissions office or some other contact to see if it's even possible for you to move to US?
my friend said i must study university if i want to do office job... and, Gallaudet university is in DC, right?
Can you tell me where is the place of not expensive, safety and can find office job?
I maybe single forever....

You can live alone if you can afford - it isn't cheap.
Oh no... can you suggest the place of not expensive, safety and can find office job?

It may be cheaper for you to live with roommates in US. Do you have a job in US?
good suggest. where place will have roommates?
Sor, i haven't, but i want to get office job but my friend said i must study university...

There is one thing you need to have someone as sponsor for you to live in USA or Canada. A sponsor is someone who is willing to help you get your green card or citizenship if you want to live in USA. He or she will be able to voice on behalf of you coming to live in USA. So you need to know if you know someone that you can trust to help you get your green card. You don't have to get married. Just someone that is there to help you. Deaf people can come into any countries if they want to live anywhere in the world.

For me, I was alone traveling to Canada to check out my ancestors in both Ontario and Quebec but then I ended up on the south island on Lake Huron which is almost close to Michigan. I met my future husband who wanted to be a sponsor for me to stay in Canada so he helped me and voiced for me on my behalf. I became a permanent resident in Canada for over 18 years almost close to 20 years. I love Canada. Now I am an old lady and need to be with my sister and her children including my son who live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. There is no problem for you to travel alone as long as you have a passport and maybe visa like going to college for at least 2 to 4 years of studying.

Welcome to AllDeaf Forum. :D
no one really will sponsor me.....
Thanks for your encouragement

My friends and two children going live in Florida they have shop out there but it costing a lot of money which I don't understand they paying yearly rather than getting citizenship straight away I did not understand their explanation
Welcome to our community. Unfortunately, I live in Russia, and had never been to the United States. So I can not give you advice.
Thanks for your reply

yes you can.
You can visit and overstay your vise by claiming disability asylum with ICE.
Since the Chinese government is communist and anti-US, you have a chance

my friend said i must study university if i want to do office job... and, Gallaudet university is in DC, right?

Not sure what he meant by that but an office job usually doesn't really REQUIRE a university degree. You can probably work an office job and attend university at the same time (some people can- I'm not sure I could lol).

Yes Gallaudet is in Washington DC
NTID is in Rochester NY.

Not sure what he meant by that but an office job usually doesn't really REQUIRE a university degree. You can probably work an office job and attend university at the same time (some people can- I'm not sure I could lol).

Yes Gallaudet is in Washington DC
NTID is in Rochester NY.

It isn't easy to get office jobs without college degree (AS/AA or BA/BS)

Oh no... can you suggest the place of not expensive, safety and can find office job?

It will be cities in southern states like Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, New Orleans, Nashville, Knoxville and several more cities. I know Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Charlotte have sizable Asian population.

If you used to great public transportation in Hong Kong so you will find one in US is miserable for many cities, especially in the South. It means you have to learn how to driving and get a driver license. Expensive US cities have excellent public transportation like SF, NYC, Seattle, Portland and Denver.

Charlotte has an ok public transportation system but I wouldn't say that Charlotte is affordable... some parts of Charlotte is expensive.

I'm sure there are some office type jobs that do not require any kind of higher education degree. It isn't impossible to get a fairly good job without a degree. One relative only went to what was then known as "secretary school" (Katherine Gibbs if I recall)...she never went to college but did well with a manager level position at Amtrak for years. Another never finished college but has a well paying job in digital printing.

Back