Best deaf community in USA

MarysMom

Reaction score
We live in Indiana in a very small town.We are hearing our daughter is deaf. We are wanting to move were our daughter has the most opportunity. Any ideas? My husband is a wounded warrior and can't take a lot of cold or heat. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

So Rochester NY and Austin TX are probably out of your husband's comfort?

Those are the best.

What about neighborhood near Maryland School for the Deaf? I heard that school is one of the best schools.

It get cold in Maryland , it can't be too hot or to cold. Is there any place in California ?

California has two deaf schools-Fremont and Riverside. Los Angeles has third largest deaf college students in the U.S. The name of college is California State University in Northridge. I don't know which one has largest family oriented community.

Northern California(SF Bay Area) is a good place. Not too hot, and not too cold. A lot of Deaf and HoH.
Rent is pricey tough.

I was thinking of California too, Northern California can get snow , it did when I lived there.

Well when we're talking deaf, what do you mean? Like what are her educational needs? (ie is she implanted, does she wear aids, does she talk or only sign?) Try Indiana School for the Deaf, it is one of the good ones (people move for it) ....Maybe St Rita's School for the Deaf? Western PA School for the Deaf? Oregon School for the Deaf? American School for the Deaf,(Hartford CT)
the READS Dhh program here in MA? http://www.readscollab.org/district/dhh-program
Willie Ross? http://www.willierossschool.org/

Well when we're talking deaf, what do you mean? Like what are her educational needs? (ie is she implanted, does she wear aids, does she talk or only sign?) Try Indiana School for the Deaf, it is one of the good ones (people move for it) ....Maybe St Rita's School for the Deaf? Western PA School for the Deaf? Oregon School for the Deaf? American School for the Deaf,(Hartford CT)
the READS Dhh program here in MA? http://www.readscollab.org/district/dhh-program
Willie Ross? http://www.willierossschool.org/

She wants to live in a stable weather condition year round.

Welcome to allDeaf,while maryland gets cold, its not nearly as rough as what indiana would be getting.....
Rocheser dosnt get too cold,but im a canuck so
For what its worth.......
EH..!

She wants to live in a stable weather condition year round.

Um I saw that, but it also would be really useful to give some deeper details so we can reccomend various and sundry specific schools. Like for example if their daughter is more Deaf (voice off with no devices) they might look into a Deaf School or a large dhh program...... If their child is more very strongly academic and so on......Many kids can fit into most programs/schools very easily.......

Oh and also http://deafchildren.org/
There ARE schools to AVOID....... Utah School for the Deaf and Blind (really not a traditional Deaf School as it's basicly an outreach with some oral classrooms and a small bi-bi program) Idaho School (VERY audist), Oklahoma School, North Carolina School for the Deaf. Arizona Schools (but then again you said you wanted a stable climate) You do have to do research (to make sure that the schooling is good and they're not just dumping the kids in a classroom with a worksheet to color) but generally most Deaf Schools and programs do have a fairly strong academic minority and or have the potential to produce some good results

The success of your daughter will depend largely on her. How old is she? I think the biggest favor you can do for her is to establish her independence. Where does she want to live? The best community will be a place she feels safe and among people who share her interests and values. There is a big difference between Rochester and San Francisco. If she is still a child, then help her to feel she doesn't need your consant help, but that she can achieve for herself while embracing dhh culture. But, if she is made to feel that being dhh is a burden that you share, she will never find her full potential. Again, her age is important. Is she in school? Are there other dhh individuals she can relate to? Does she know ASL? If college age, does she plan to go to college? If she is a teen, then she might want to meet other deaf teens or be in a school environment with them.

As said above, more information about your daughter might help you to get a more focused response. Would she benefit from a boarding environment? Could you cope if she were in a boarding environment? As a family, are you more comfortable in a small town or a metropolitan city?

There are so many excellent choices...it's a big country. Help us in our recommendations by providing more specific information about your daughter. Better yet...hand the keyboard to her and have her tell us about herself.

Wishing you, your husband, and daughter the best,
Michael

Where does she want to live?

Depends on how old the kid is. The child can have input into where she'd like to live if she is old enough (9 and up? Depends on the parent I guess), but the ultimate decision is the parents'; just hopefully with both the child and the hubby's health needs in mind.

The success of your daughter will depend largely on her. How old is she? I think the biggest favor you can do for her is to establish her independence. Where does she want to live? The best community will be a place she feels safe and among people who share her interests and values. There is a big difference between Rochester and San Francisco. If she is still a child, then help her to feel she doesn't need your consant help, but that she can achieve for herself while embracing dhh culture. But, if she is made to feel that being dhh is a burden that you share, she will never find her full potential. Again, her age is important. Is she in school? Are there other dhh individuals she can relate to? Does she know ASL? If college age, does she plan to go to college? If she is a teen, then she might want to meet other deaf teens or be in a school environment with them.

As said above, more information about your daughter might help you to get a more focused response. Would she benefit from a boarding environment? Could you cope if she were in a boarding environment? As a family, are you more comfortable in a small town or a metropolitan city?

There are so many excellent choices...it's a big country. Help us in our recommendations by providing more specific information about your daughter. Better yet...hand the keyboard to her and have her tell us about herself.

Wishing you, your husband, and daughter the best,
Michael
I think boarding needs to be last resort and or reserved for middle and high schoolers. Otherwise your post is good! I think it's best for a kid to be a day student. In some cases there may be independent living postsecondary programs, where kids live on campus and are trained for independent living...like real independent living not, "IL/life skills " for intellectucally disabled students.

Back