Are you spoken to in syllables?

Dannie

Reaction score
Okay here is the thing, for three years now (ever since my Dad went to the Cdn. Hearing Society to talk to someone about me) he's been talking to me in syllables, and things are way better now.

The neighbors and their friends have the absurdity of thinking they have to shout or talk with elastic bands in their mouth, some of them and some are shocked when I tell them I can hear them just fine because I wear a hearing aid, and they are surprised.

The thing is I hear fine with one hearing aid, I can hear literally well when someone talks to me in syllables making me feel like a 38-year old deviant retard.

Now when I explain to my father (age > 77) that I don't need to be spoken to like that just say it normally. (Say Saturday instead of Sat-Err-Day).

He doesn't listen, he says he's always spoken like that (he does not), and he gets furious at me.

The odd thing is that whenever I tell my Dad to talk normally, Mom starts saying Sat-Err-Day, just when I've told them not to.

Advice please everybody.

I'am on social assistance, so I can't move and we just have a new puppy.

Are you HOH and spoken in syllables???

Why does everyone persistently ignore this question??

I really could use advice.

I am profoundly deaf since birth and I have had experiences people talking like that or dumb down their talking. I tell them to speak to me normally...most of the time it doesn't work cuz it seems so stuck in their heads that they have to talk to me in a certain way. That's one of the many reasons why I quit being fully involved in a non signing environment 5 years ago.

I don't have any good advice to give since I tried different tactics or approaches to explain to hearing people to talk to me as an equal as long as they faced me. I would say about 80% didn't really "get" it and 20% eventually "got" it after associating with me for a few months or so.

My mom always always spoken to my deaf brother and I pretty normally. She never learned sign language but is finally trying since she realized how important it was to the both of us.

Maybe video tape your parents conversing with u and then show them what they r doing? Sometimes, people don't really realize they aren't doing it until they see themselves on tape. Won't hurt to give it a try?

Are you HOH and spoken in syllables???

Why does everyone persistently ignore this question??

I really could use advice.

people dont ignore... they just wont reply as fast as u d like them to.

just be patient... eventually they WILL answer.

I am profoundly deaf since birth and I have had experiences people talking like that or dumb down their talking. I tell them to speak to me normally...most of the time it doesn't work cuz it seems so stuck in their heads that they have to talk to me in a certain way. That's one of the many reasons why I quit being fully involved in a non signing environment 5 years ago.

I don't have any good advice to give since I tried different tactics or approaches to explain to hearing people to talk to me as an equal as long as they faced me. I would say about 80% didn't really "get" it and 20% eventually "got" it after associating with me for a few months or so.

My mom always always spoken to my deaf brother and I pretty normally. She never learned sign language but is finally trying since she realized how important it was to the both of us.

Maybe video tape your parents conversing with u and then show them what they r doing? Sometimes, people don't really realize they aren't doing it until they see themselves on tape. Won't hurt to give it a try?

This may sound a little odd, but why don't you try talking back to them in the same manner?

They might see how ridiculous it is by example.

If they get a little cranky about the way you're talking to them, just say, "I feel the same way and thought you would like to see what it is like for you when I speak to you like that."

I dunno, maybe worth a try?

I gotta try it one day.

I'am just the sort of person who can't do that to anybody no matter how damned they are, because we are all people, but I just get so furious when they do that, I just have to do that.

Here in the world of AD.. people look at threads they like first.. and then check out new threads... So you can't expect an answer within a day of posting something.. yeah, some of us post fast... we just happen to be on and see the thread.

Anyway. I'm profoundly deaf, and I am spoken to like that a lot. But I've always fought to make sure people knew how to speak to me, and if they talked to me in a way I didn't appregicate, I usually copied them and they were like.. I'm not dumb.. I always said.. What makes you think I am?

I'm severely HOH, been to speech therapist from age 3 to 18. Now, I'm on my own, and married. There are times, I do have troubling pronouncing the words and ask my husband or my kids to help me. It can be very annoying. My parents talks normal to me. Every now and then if they heard me saying it incorrectly and they help me to say it right. There are lot of words that we do have a hard time saying it especially the long words. :)

While growing up, I used MMS... which is syllabled sign language. ;)

Back