any advice would be appriciated

No problem.....and I saw you posted about CIs....don't feel embarssed or anything. CIs are getting a lot more accepted then they used to be.

No problem.....and I saw you posted about CIs....don't feel embarssed or anything. CIs are getting a lot more accepted then they used to be.
Thank you
I really am, its been hard trying to find people to tall to about anything, and i dont know much about the deaf community, thats why i figured id come on here and ask, havent gotten very many replies though lol, and i did get one not so nice email regarding the CI. I was just looking for information ya know and experiances and maybe making some friends, not be looked down upon because i am researching, haven't even made a decision yet anyways

Thank you
I really am, its been hard trying to find people to tall to about anything, and i dont know much about the deaf community, thats why i figured id come on here and ask, havent gotten very many replies though lol, and i did get one not so nice email regarding the CI. I was just looking for information ya know and experiances and maybe making some friends, not be looked down upon because i am researching, haven't even made a decision yet anyways

CICircle is a Yahoo group where there are parents of CI kids. You will get a much better response there.

Where there are more culturally deaf people , that won't be so positive on the CI.

Thank you

Just wondering. Has he maxed out on hearing aids? Does he have recruitment or other issues? Is he profound in one ear but somewhat aidable in the other ear? Or is he kinda an ambigigous canidate (ie still gets some sound/speech perception with aids)
I do think that CIs can and do rock with the right circumstances, but I also think that parents need to be very very careful about assuming that they are always better then hearing aids. the current promotion of CIs, almost sounds like the promotion of digital aids back in the day when they were first introduced. (people said that digital aids were going to be THE KEY for dhh kids to finally have access to the hearing world. Remember too that there are still kids with "deaf" losses who benifit from aids....Also remember that at best your kid will ALWAYS be at best HOH, even with the best technology.
I think too while CIs are still somewhat controversial, they are LESS controverisal if the kid also gets ASL and Deaf Ed. I think some of the anti CIers think that the kid is going to go through a hardcore Auditory Verbal experiance (ie assimulate into the hearing world, no real contact with other dhh adults or kids etc) As long as there's a balance with exposure to the deaf and hearing world, he should do well. (and there are tons of CI kids in Deaf ed)
I'm sorry you got such a nasty letter, but please remember there are extremists everywhere......there are even Deaf people with CIs.

Back