All those old cars left rotting for what??

the vette in the link, is not the one he is saying is rusted. the vette pictured is a $63,000 Corvette in great condition, he is comparing it to the $75,000 'vette in bad condition.

Oh. Thanks.

There are plenty of those in Rural areas. I've seen some 40's 50's and 60's car sitting around on field and several of cars in good shapes but some rusts and fixable. It got me wonder why people just let it sit there and rot if it's in good shape.

Sometime cars and trucks sits there because owner don't want to bother fixing the vehicle so they dump it there and got another car or they bought a vehicle and dump the old one once it's broken. They may think they can save it for grandchildren to fix it up and use it for their transportation which never happens.. :shrug:

Here's one bad part, Appraiser may fly or drive by to count vehicles and tax them even if vehicle were old and title no longer valid ect..

I had a friend who kept hundreds of cars and trucks parked around farm fields and they got hit with tax by Appraiser who flew a helicopter. They went through lawsuit ect and lost. County Appraiser demanded them to pay tax and they couldn't afford it so they sold land to pay it off. That's their loss.

If I own a farm, I would just park it inside old barn or makeshift building that had no purpose and locked. Also dig out notch on hill and build "fake" hill cover so any appraiser flying on helicopter or driving by can't tell if I had hundreds of cars parked between notch of the hill with fake cover :giggle: Here's one kicker, you'll have to do it quickly as possible at night so no one will know you had secret spots. :squint: I"ve heard some farmers or land owner cover up their cars and hide.

There are one near my area, It used to be Phillips 66 Gas station with garages but now owner took sign and gas pump out, leaving just garage and surrounding parking lot alone. There are lots of junked and old cars/ trucks parking on this area. It was much less than 15 years ago that he had it lined on left side of map, 50 or 60 cars parked on side of cars until Johnson County Appraiser office drove by and helicopter went over and took pictures. It was on the newspaper that owner was condemned so they had to get rid of many cars/trucks or pay taxes which was a warning from Appraiser office. I drove by often and it was a mess while across the street from them are many new subdivision including upscale neighborhood.

Check this out: shawnee mission parkway, shawnee, ks - Google Maps

Catty

I've heard about being taxed for vehicles, but this is crazy!! I mean, are they all his cars? Say, if I wanted to park my car at your house and have you store it for me, you'll be charged tax for it?? Doesn't sound right.

While I am sure there are some put out to pasture, today some of the cars you mention are worth a lot of money. I'm sure more are being preserved today than ever before.

I had 1965 GTO with a three carburetor intake (six pack). Of the some many thousand that were built for the road there were probably more than that today because everyone wants that configuration(non-stock cars).

Seriously, while I don't see the logic in it, some of those cars are fetching big money today. What is ironic is that you can actually buy new cars that are faster than those cars today. It doesn't make sense to pay that kind of money when you can get something similar brand new. In the old days(20 years ago), you could fix one of those cars up and have a good car cheap. Today, it cost a lot more to do that.

I sympathize though, you can't get that old car feel anymore.

I've heard about being taxed for vehicles, but this is crazy!! I mean, are they all his cars? Say, if I wanted to park my car at your house and have you store it for me, you'll be charged tax for it?? Doesn't sound right.

Damned right, it doesn't sound right. That's basically the schoolyard bullies having control of the counties and telling you what to do with your private property. Anytime someone can tell you this, that's a bully asking you to hand over your lunch money. DO YOU GET IT PEOPLE? YOU DON'T OWN YOUR VEHICLES OR YOUR PROPERTY AS LONG AS THEY CAN TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU!! Some states are now looking at pulling the property taxes, now that they have gotten into office and are attempting to take control back from the bullies.

He probably knows he'll never see $75K for it. He's just saying $75K because he doesn't want to sell it. Buyer just walks away.

If he told buyer it's not for sale, buyer will badger and beg---please, please sell it to me!! So just give the buyer a ridiculous price tag, they walk away shaking their head.

Nice Vette, hugh money.... If I am a Vette hunter, would check the chassis and FG body/panels etc in every one inch from front bumper to rear bumper PLUS top dollar for a black California license plate and fuel injected 327 cid V8.

Wirelessly posted

Fiberglass can't ruat

Some Vettes have metal floor pans, easy to get rust cuz of poor rubber weatherstrip seals or torn convertibles. Plus the fiberglass still have lot of spider web cracks and deterioated fiberglass surface due to oil saturation or battery acids.

Think of all old cars sitting out in the field. Think like maybe 1955 Cameo, 1965 Jeep Gladiator, 1968 Cutlass, 1968 camaro, etc. They sit in field rotting for like 40, 50 years. I wonder why???? I started out as a psychology major in college. I wouldn't help, but wonder how come they're sitting in the field for so long.

I often think....looks like the guy passed away 30 years ago. The guy leaves the car to wife as part of will. The wife just let it sit for 15 more years making it 45 years. Then the wife dies and leave cars to kids in her will. The kids decide to get rid of those "lawn ornaments". Either the kids are asking too much off craigslist or maybe they're selling them cheaply happy with whatever they can get for it.

It's sad to think of all those cars left to rot, beyond repair. Better to scrap or just part out. Mind me, I'm not talking about a 1992 Corolla, but rather oldies like maybe a 1960 Bel Air.

Also, I often think back to like 30 years ago. Back then, you would just slap a "For Sale" sign, tell friends, or maybe put an ad in newspaper to sell your vehicle. Now in today's electronic world, you would just Craigslist or E Bay it.

If you happen found a 1960 Bel Air with a clean title and heavy cancerous body for cheap bucks like $100 cash. Would you buy it?

If you have few cars from someone else, county won't notice it but if you had many many cars/trucks. They think you are a Dealership or Junkyard owner so that's why they are looking for big $$$ from you.

It won't hurt if 4 cars that had "dead" title, parking on your property for long in Rural area.

I had a friend who owned over 15 cars/ trucks and he never paid a penny on tax because he spread out vehicles across City of Olathe. Some cars he won from City Auctions and some he got good deal from several owners. Basically he asked several friends to hold 1 or 2 cars, Some friend own big land and he had permission from them to leave cars there and also 3 in Apartment parking lot (he moves cars around every week). Later on, he decided to go to Gally so he sold 14 cars and use money for College need. I saw some cars and more than half of cars he have are just basically junked and one of them is Convertible GTO but rusted badly and no engine and tranny, worth nothing.. Right now, it's hard to keep any vehicles without license plate, Cops drives around and they do get out and check vehicles that been sitting on driveway for long time. If they find plate tag expired, they'll write up ticket or if license plate came from other vehicle to "fool" the cop, it won't work cuz they will run the computer to find out.. If not match then same thing owner get ticketed. My area in Shawnee is no problem, I can leave old cars and no worry about cop as long as I backup car just near wall of house or fence. They won't bother checking my car.

Catty

There are plenty of those in Rural areas. I've seen some 40's 50's and 60's car sitting around on field and several of cars in good shapes but some rusts and fixable. It got me wonder why people just let it sit there and rot if it's in good shape.

Sometime cars and trucks sits there because owner don't want to bother fixing the vehicle so they dump it there and got another car or they bought a vehicle and dump the old one once it's broken. They may think they can save it for grandchildren to fix it up and use it for their transportation which never happens.. :shrug:

Here's one bad part, Appraiser may fly or drive by to count vehicles and tax them even if vehicle were old and title no longer valid ect..

I had a friend who kept hundreds of cars and trucks parked around farm fields and they got hit with tax by Appraiser who flew a helicopter. They went through lawsuit ect and lost. County Appraiser demanded them to pay tax and they couldn't afford it so they sold land to pay it off. That's their loss.

If I own a farm, I would just park it inside old barn or makeshift building that had no purpose and locked. Also dig out notch on hill and build "fake" hill cover so any appraiser flying on helicopter or driving by can't tell if I had hundreds of cars parked between notch of the hill with fake cover :giggle: Here's one kicker, you'll have to do it quickly as possible at night so no one will know you had secret spots. :squint: I"ve heard some farmers or land owner cover up their cars and hide.

There are one near my area, It used to be Phillips 66 Gas station with garages but now owner took sign and gas pump out, leaving just garage and surrounding parking lot alone. There are lots of junked and old cars/ trucks parking on this area. It was much less than 15 years ago that he had it lined on left side of map, 50 or 60 cars parked on side of cars until Johnson County Appraiser office drove by and helicopter went over and took pictures. It was on the newspaper that owner was condemned so they had to get rid of many cars/trucks or pay taxes which was a warning from Appraiser office. I drove by often and it was a mess while across the street from them are many new subdivision including upscale neighborhood.

Check this out: shawnee mission parkway, shawnee, ks - Google Maps

Catty

I feel sad for the owner who gave up the land and the vehicles. I feel they broke the owner's private property by the hoover... If the owner cover up by the bushes or fences, make no visual on the those vehicles on the property.
Pardon me.. I'm going to throw up... thank u a lot...

I first heard the inoperative vehicle(s) on the private property might be fee in property tax in some states from SEMA Action Network.

Back