A abandoned house in Waterloo, Iowa

Is this article recent?

Bet ya'll prying to find the real answer?

The floods of 2008 destroyed the neighborhood along Cedar River. The river was very high causing record levels which forced everyone to abandon the area. Most of the houses were torn down leaving a handful of them still standing. Fewer than a dozen houses whom people returned to live in them.

The floods of 2008 destroyed the neighborhood along Cedar River. The river was very high causing record levels which forced everyone to abandon the area. Most of the houses were torn down leaving a handful of them still standing. Fewer than a dozen houses whom people returned to live in them.

oh.

Oh...I was hoping for a more sinister answer.

That is why the house is so high.

My mobile home have to be 3 feet off the ground because of flooding (AZ).

That is why the house is so high.

My mobile home have to be 3 feet off the ground because of flooding (AZ).

Yes all of the houses in the neighborhood are raised up like that. The floods were higher than that.

The flood stage is 12 ft but the river went to 27 ft high, broke the previous record of 21 ft in 1993, I think.

The flood stage is 12 ft but the river went to 27 ft high, broke the previous record of 21 ft in 1993, I think.
And why do people build in flood plains?

It is not a matter IF it will flood, it is a matter of WHEN.

Back