Cochlear Implant Evaluation Procedure?

Recover5302

Reaction score
What is the process of getting a Cochlear Implant?

What kinds of tests are involved?

I'm trying to weigh my options because the audiologist said that eventually a CI would be of more benefit.

I currently have PhonaK Naidas 9. They are good but she wants me to get an evaluation.

I have a severe to profound hearing loss. My speech discrimination is still okay, but she said eventually that will change. Also my ears are both bad ,so she really was concerned which one they would implant, because both of them are mostly profound.

I want to live for today...but she said that's something to think about.

Does it destroy the rest of your hearing?
Do they do bilaterals for people? Under what circumstances?
After surgery what to expect after surgery?...Will I have to wait months in silence..lol ...WEll thanks ...any information is appreciated :)

As I understand it, the only thing that would exclude you as a candidate is cochlear otosclerosis. That's because the bone where the CI would be is eroding away. Maybe someone else knows more?

As I understand it, the only thing that would exclude you as a candidate is cochlear otosclerosis. That's because the bone where the CI would be is eroding away. Maybe someone else knows more?

or if you're missing the 8th nerve.

Following are some basic criteria for initial screening for a CI, although each clinic / audi would take individual situations into consideration (these apply to people who don't receive benefit from hearing aids):

Adults (18 years of age and older)
• Moderate to Profound SNHL, bilaterally
• 50% or less - sentence recognition - in the ear to be implanted
• 60% or less - sentence recognition - in the opposite ear or binaurally
• Pre-linguistic or post-linguistic onset of moderate-to-profound SNHL
• No medical contraindications
• A desire to hear

Pediatrics (25 months to 17 years 11 months)
• Severe to Profound SNHL, bilaterally
• MLNT scores of 30% or less in best-aided condition (children 25 months to 4 yrs. 11 months)
• LNT scores of 30% or less in best-aided condition (children 5 yrs. to 17 yrs. 11 months)
• Lack of progress in the development of auditory skills
• High motivation and appropriate expectations (both child when appropriate and family)

12 Months to 24 Months
• Profound SNHL, bilaterally
• Limited benefit from appropriate binaural hearing aids
• Lack of progress in the development of auditory skills
• High motivation and appropriate expectations from family

From a recent Cochlear Implant patients meeting-Sunnybrook/Toronto over the last 19 years over 60% of all persons examined for Implants-there- were rejected on a variety of grounds. They actually implanted 850 persons-of which I was one- over that time period.

Recently the Ontario Government altered the criteria to include persons with Profound loss.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I have a severe to profound hearing loss. My speech discrimination is still okay, but she said eventually that will change. Also my ears are both bad ,so she really was concerned which one they would implant, because both of them are mostly profound.
Did you have better hearing when you were younger? Is your loss progressive?

Does it destroy the rest of your hearing?
Do they do bilaterals for people?
Some sources say it does, some say it doesn't. And some also say it could but it's becoming less common these days and so forth.

I decided to get implanted in my worse ear. The one I was getting very minimal benefit with an HA anyway to begin with.

Do they do bilaterals for people? Under what circumstances?
They do. But I decided to get implanted in just one ear to improve my hearing and some aspects of my communication skills. And at the same time leave the other ear open for the future. It doesn't necessarily have to be just CI's, but also other science or technology developments.

After surgery what to expect after surgery?...Will I have to wait months in silence..lol ...WEll thanks ...any information is appreciated :)
You may feel a little weak or wobbly at first after surgery. Although some were able to recover faster than others.

And I had to wait about a month to get my activation. Although I do know of some that were able to get activated just within few weeks after surgery.

And since I only had it implanted in one ear, I was still able to wear an hearing aid in the other during the waiting process.

Footnote: re activation. Contingent on how one's head heals usually 4 to 6 weeks, Mine was 4 weeks. I was still bilaterally deaf in the meantime.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

A footnote to the above: It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks for one's head to heal from the operation. Mine took 4 weeks. I was bilaterally deaf the entire waiting time till activation.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

CIs don't always destroy residual hearing these days. Seems like more and more people still have their residual hearing after implantation, the surgeons have been improving the techniques to doing the implants without destroying residual hearing.

As for the testing/evaluation process, it can vary from center to center. For myself, I had a full hearing test done, CI surgeon checked my balance (standing with eyes closed), talked of my expectations of the implant (making sure my expectations weren't too high, etc.), and that was it basically. I haven't gotten a CI yet due to insurance issues, but hopefully after November I'll be able to progress and actually get the CI.

As for bilateral implants, yes it's possible. Some will get both implants done in 1 shot (1 surgery), others will have 1 ear implanted first, then get the other ear implanted later. Matter of preference/situation/what that individual and CI team think would be best. It's up to you basically, if you want both ears implanted, or just one. Myself, I'm just getting the left ear done. I still have enough hearing in the right ear that a hearing aid works well enough. Left ear is my dead ear, and I'd like to be able to get some sound in that ear if possible. If I should ever lose more hearing with the right ear, to the point where the hearing aid just doesn't help much anymore, then I'd consider going bilateral for myself.

If you want to pursue the implant at some point, it couldn't hurt to get evaluated and get some feedback from the CI surgeon/audie. Don't let your audie pressure you into doing something you don't want to do, though. This is your decision whether or not you want to get the implant(s), not hers.

Back