When paying your bills, which method do you use?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you do your bills on-line? Do you still write checks? Or do you set up bill payments on-line and let the bank handle it? Or do you have automatic bill payment?

For me, for the most part, I pay my bills on-line, because I don't get paper bills in the mail, so I have to mentally remember to pay the bills, but a couple of instances require a check, such as cable and rent, and for these, I set up the payment on-line, and let the bank handle it, because it gives me less stress to handle, and I can focus on other things.

How do you do it? Do you do it on-line, or in advance? Or both ways? Or do you still use checks and checkbooks? Or automatic bill payments?

I'm trying to be open-minded and maybe learn something new; I'm just being curious, because I'd like to generally know how you do things, and maybe pick up some tips?

Last edited:
I mostly pay the bills online. But, some medical offices or hospitals do not have online payment system, so I use checks to pay the bills though.

Variety of ways...online....phone...direct withdrawal from the bank...and not often, by mail....Sometimes I even go into the store and pay in person....whichever suits me at the time.

I mostly pay the bills online. But, some medical offices or hospitals do not have online payment system, so I use checks to pay the bills though.

I have my checks sent from the bank. Easier that way.

I would pay them via cash or credit at bank. When I pay my phone bill, I go to Verizon store to make payment. I pay either cash or credit. I don't use checks.

I would pay them via cash or credit at bank. When I pay my phone bill, I go to Verizon store to make payment. I pay either cash or credit. I don't use checks.

Each to his/her own. However, I pay my phone bill on-line, and immediately after my funds become available, so that way I don't forget, which I am liable to do every now and then.

As for checks, I don't handle them myself-- my bank does that for me, and I never see it arrive at their intended place, but before they get sent out, I must make a call to certian places, like Comcast, to verify my bill is still the same, and if not, I'll ask why to try and understand

Usually direct bank payments, unless the due date is less than a week away, then it's done online. I rarely use checks or cash, but do have a bit on hand for emergencies, tipping, etc. If I do something where keeping tabs on my purse is a pain, I use a money clip.

Usually direct bank payments, unless the due date is less than a week away, then it's done online. I rarely use checks or cash, but do have a bit on hand for emergencies, tipping, etc. If I do something where keeping tabs on my purse is a pain, I use a money clip.

I do it a similar way, except that I plan ahead of time, and schedule the payments at least 2 weeks ahead of time, like with my rent, since it never changes, and I'll call my cable company to verify the bill is the same, and if so, I'll set up a check to be sent to them.

As for my phone bill, I'll pay on-line, like I already said, so no need to say that again. However, for my hotspot, they don't accept on-line payments until the due date, so what I'll do is set up an advance payment on-line, and when the due date rolls by, it's already there to be accepted.

Most of the recurring bills are "preauthorized:" Just record on due day.

It helps to keep track on one's bank account!

Bartering wampum works for me. :giggle:

Me? Everything automatic withdrawal except for one... Propane gas service, they keep sending me bill and then I have to get online to pay for it.

online. auto!

but for my car payment... old fashioned way... check and mail.

I apologize everyone-- I just got back from food shopping, and the conditions for shopping aren't ideal. Anyways... interesting answers so far.

Back