whats the chance??

jjmccollough

Reaction score
i'm a hearing adult who's mother and father were born deaf...i'm 28 yrs old and have not had any problems at this point with my own hearing or speech...but i'd like to pose a question to the deaf community and ask,what is the chance or chances that i might have a deaf child?my wife is 6months pregnant with a girl and i was curious and yes concerned...i being the child of a deaf mother i have seen first hand the frustration and the challenges that life as thrown her way,so any input would be helpful ....

Hello (btw, welcome to Alldeaf-- ;) ), apparently it looks like neither of you have questioned your own doctor regarding this, the doctor would be your best option to check further what the chances are...however, (just imo-in my opinion) considering both sides--yours and your wife's, could it look logical and safe to assume that the chances are 50 percent? Hmmm?? Anyhow, my opinion is just that, 'cuz I'm not a doctor or one who specializes in the department regarding 'genes. :lol:

Anyhow, hopefully, you'll be able to seek the answer(s) you and your wife are looking for. ;)

~RR

U have a small chance...just as my hearing daughter has a small chance of having a deaf child since I was born profoundly deaf and have a deaf brother.

Umm..what your mom went thru with all the frustrations and everything may not be as bad for the next generation of deaf people since more people are more educated about deafness and their needs. Sure, there will be some frustrations but I endure frustrations with my two children from time to time.

Good luck! :)

If you live in DC Metro, Gallaudet University or NIH has genetic department where they will ask you questions about your family history then determine % chance of you having deaf children.

:welcome: to Alldeaf and enjoy posting here. :)

My boyf. and I are deaf and we are expecting our first child next month. My dr. said it is very low chance that I would get a deaf child, my baby is hearing because he moves when I play music or hearing alots of people around me. So my baby will be born hearing. I have family on my dad's side that is deaf and I was hoping maybe my baby would be deaf but I already accepted it that he might or might not be deaf because HEALTH is the most important thing to us. We are going to teach our baby sign language while he is still a baby, because babies grasp words, signs and things so fast so well.

Good luck and Congrats!

Back