What would you do

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
if you saw the mother cat outside waiting for food or her baby?

I'll explain. I found tabby and one other kitten and they were 5 weeks old by that time I found them by my car without the mother. It was in October and freezing outside. So, lucky i had the cat food just in case cuz we have lots of stray cats around here. I got the cat food and soak it with water cuz they were babies. Tabby was doing fine and moving.. but the one other kitten won't move at all. it broke my heart to see that kitten so i asked my roommate to check on that kitten and she can't move at all, only move her face lil bit.. that was it. I brought them inside in a stubborn way cuz my roomie was allergic to cats and didn't want cats in the house. I told him look its freezing outside and i want to keep them warm for a while. tabby was a very good eater and moving just great. So i struggled with the other kitten and trying to feed her with milk, one bite of cat soak food but nothing works. So Fernie and I ended up taking them to vet and they won't do anything if we don't keep them and told us to take them to animal shelters. So we did and they plan to put them to sleep if we don't keep them. STUPID uh??? I begged really hard to keep tabby cuz shes doing fine and etc. I didn't want to keep the other kitten cuz i don't want her dying at my home... it will even break my heart even more.... Finally, my roomie approved for my sake. We haven't seen the mother cat for long time - We've been trying to figure out which one ever since but nothing until last night we saw that cat and we think it is her and same color, because she stood by our porch watching and waiting. we brought tabby outside but the mother cat won't come at all. What would you do if you saw the mother cat if it's really her?

Aww that's so sad :(

First I would like to say it was really sweet of you to take those kittens in the house even tho your roomate is allergic to cats :hug: , but since the kittens need their mother up to 6 weeks cause of their mother's milk and you were unable to find their mother and one of the kitten is become weaker or dying is may be cause of the whether or the kitten wasn't feed by the mother or it could be alot of other reasons why that kitten wouldn't move....Another thing I would like to add is never give a cat/kitten milk, because it will make them sick but kitten do drink forumla which you can get it at the pet store...And to answer your question on about the mother cat, she knows you have her babies and may want to be near them if you did put food down for the mother and she did not eat it then you know why....;)

Also, you can always call the animal shelter and they will be sure those kittens are well taking care of inculding the mother cat too and the other spray cats out there also...... :thumb:

Mother cats usually don't like when one touch her kittens. Sometimes the mothers will kill the kittens or avoid the kittens because one touched them.

I'd suggest that you leave the kittens to the mother, if she is nowhere to be seen, leave something like a little box and old clothes for the kittens to stay in, maybe the mother will return to it.

it has to be the mother cat.. it's the 4th time she came here.. we couldn't find the mother when we found them it has been approximately 4 months... tabby is already older in her 5th month and she's happy here so far... and i just fed the stray cat could be the mother? i don't know really.. but will figure out later on when that cat get used to me first though.. she's still terrified of me. most stray cats are scared though. my roomie is used to tabby and loved her too. I think some of u already seen my kitten that i have.. sitting on my shoulder one on the picture pet thread? i think.... and pythia, thanks for the site. i ll check it out later. :)

Hmm, what I would do is keep the kitten or find a home for them both. Is the mother cat friendly or hissy? I would try to lure her in and let her see her kitten and find them a home together.

BewitchedKitten said:
Hmm, what I would do is keep the kitten or find a home for them both. Is the mother cat friendly or hissy? I would try to lure her in and let her see her kitten and find them a home together.

I've no ideas yet but i will try to give it time and find out.... :)

Sad thread, I know how you feeling when you found kitten. Are you sure that kitten is 5 weeks old?

See my story on link:

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=9779

At first I thought kitten is less than 6 weeks until the vet confirmed that she's 8 weeks old.

I think it's better for you to check with the vet how old kitten is. The Vet will estimate how old the kitten is through kitten's teeth. I would be not surprised when the vet confirmed that the kitten, you found is more than 7 or 8 weeks old because the mother cat push kitten away when the kitten are 6 to 8 weeks old. It's normal but I find its not normal that kitten are alone, where you found. The kitten might run away or somebody left kitten on the street?

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=11763

The vet confirmed that the kitten's eye is an infection, no abuse. The vet suspect that it's an accident when kitten hitted by woods or ????

I would recommend you to check with the vet. If you cant keep the kitten, then give kitten to vet or pet home.

Liebling:-))) said:
Sad thread, I know how you feeling when you found kitten. Are you sure that kitten is 5 weeks old?

See my story on link:

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=9779

At first I thought kitten is less than 6 weeks until the vet confirmed that she's 8 weeks old.

I think it's better for you to check with the vet how old kitten is. The Vet will estimate how old the kitten is through kitten's teeth. I would be not surprised when the vet confirmed that the kitten, you found is more than 7 or 8 weeks old because the mother cat push kitten away when the kitten are 6 to 8 weeks old. It's normal but I find its not normal that kitten are alone, where you found. The kitten might run away or somebody left kitten on the street?

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=11763

The vet confirmed that the kitten's eye is an infection, no abuse. The vet suspect that it's an accident when kitten hitted by woods or ????

I would recommend you to check with the vet. If you cant keep the kitten, then give kitten to vet or pet home.

yes. i took her to vet when i found her and they told me shes afemale and 5 weeks old and is very good eater. so yes i already know the answers. she's 5 months old now... she gotten a little bigger.

let me show ya....

5 wks old
4 half month old

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 36.jpg
    Picture 36.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 17
Aww soo cute!!

If the kitten is doing fine and that the vet checked him out, then you are doing a great job raising that kitten there....I wouldn't worry about the mother cat outside, I know how spray cats are, they are scare of people since they're not around them all the time you know......

That why mostly vets put cats to sleep when they're wild because all their lives they have been living on the streets and being on their own without the people around them taking care of them....

^Angel^ said:
Aww soo cute!!

If the kitten is doing fine and that the vet checked him out, then you are doing a great job raising that kitten there....I wouldn't worry about the mother cat outside, I know how spray cats are, they are scare of people since they're not around them all the time you know......

That why mostly vets put cats to sleep when they're wild because all their lives they have been living on the streets and being on their own without the people around them taking care of them....

Yup... most stray cats are scared of people, not always... and no the vet can't do anything if we keep them or put them to sleep. The vet told me to take them to animal shelter instead. It was a good and learning experience too.

My cat was a feral cat. It took two years to tame her. Some feral cats can be tamed; some will never be tamed. Zia came from a colony that lives in the back of my dad's shop. When I started the TNR (Trap, Neuter and Return) program, the colony no longer has kittens. Right now, there are only five adult cats in the colony. Many veterinary clinics provide free TNR program. It was a hard work but it was worth it! No more kittens in the colony.

Zia, formerly feral cat. :D
zp.jpg

ps the kitten is so adorable! I hope she will find a good home.

Hey, that's a very sweet and adorable little kitty there! Am glad that you are taking such good care and giving this kitty the chance to enjoy life!! Must commend you for reaching out and saving this kitty! :thumb:

updated... the stray cat who i thought look like tabby never came back since... I guess she was starving for food. that was it.... I dunno. At this moment.... she's asleep on her nose near the desk. heh I guess shes very sleepy by the medicine that she took today....

Attachments

• tabby.....jpg
    tabby.....jpg
    5 KB · Views: 11
Aww, the kitten's so adorable! So small and cute looking. I'm glad you took care of it, I'd hate to see anything happen to a kitty.

OldNavyGirl, here is an early birthday present

tubbercat.jpg

hahahaha... its not even close to my birthday or tabby's :P u've to wait til the times come. :P

Back