Want to teach ASL to girls in Afghanistan?

Herhighknee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am helping run a school in Kabul where the students are all girls. One of our alums was deaf, and we got her a scholarship to the U.S. where she is thriving. As I'm sure you know, deaf people in afghanistan are considered handicapped and are rejected by society. Our alum is doing very well, and since I have joined the staff, I have wanted to teach our girls some ASL. They all speak English fluently and are enthusiastic learners. I have made them watch Switched at Birth and they love it. I'm hearing, but used to tutor my deaf peers in college (5 years ago) and love ASL. I'm not completely fluent, but am proficient enough. If anyone is interested in working with me, we use skype here for all our interactions. I'd love to meet new friends, and answer any questions etc.

Thanks!

why ASL only, other nations out there....you got feel for them people they need all help they can get..good luck hope all go well you doing marvellous work..all power

I wouldn't agree with rejected by society... I have seen deaf rebels fighting and signing as well, so they are accepted in society.

My Deaf girlfriend's husband who will serves there in nov. He is pretty good at ASL. I will tell him about you there. He signs reallly good. Is that ARMY base near your schoool there?

Back