Very Confused by the d/Deaf community.

dandandrums

Reaction score
So, I'm from London and I was born with a condition called Oculo-Oto-Dental Syndrome. I'm hard of hearing (and wear two hearing aids in order to hear). I'm told by my audiologist my hearing will get progressively worse and judging by the last few years of my life (I'm 17), I know I will go completely deaf.

I have a few questions basically.

How would I be perceived by the d/Deaf community? Would they exclude me as I'm able to hear? How do I get involved in the community and culture?

I don't really fit in with hearing people and after hearing some things about how Deaf people can be excluding of people who can hear, I'm slightly worried I wouldn't fit in there either.

Oh, and hello to all! My BSL isn't brilliant but I'm trying to learn!

Curious, are you blind as well? Surely you will be put in touch with programs in your area for deaf/blind people?

Try not to worry too much. Some people will and some won't accept you. The ones who won't aren't worth your time anyway.

I am deaf/legally blind as well.

:welcome:

Curious, are you blind as well? Surely you will be put in touch with programs in your area for deaf/blind people?

Try not to worry too much. Some people will and some won't accept you. The ones who won't aren't worth your time anyway.

I am deaf/legally blind as well.

:welcome:
I'm completely blind in my right eye, How did you guess? And I Haven't been told of any programs however I'm trying to find d/Deaf groups through the note takers at college.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Last edited:
I'm completely blind in my right eye, How did you guess? And I Haven't been told of any programs however I'm trying to find d/Deaf groups through the note takers at college.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Oculo refers to the eye. A fairly easy conclusion for a person who suffers from Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome. :lol:

:welcome: (Welcome) to AllDeaf forum. It is better if you don't mention to the Deaf Community in your area about what you can hear. Hearing is not that important. The thing is that Deaf Community were tired of trying to understand hearing people like you are doing trying to fit in the hearing society. But it is not working. So if they accept you as long as you can do the BSL once you have master it, then you will be fine. Just go pace with your learning to sign BSL. I do hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave: (wave to you)

I don't really fit in with hearing people and after hearing some things about how Deaf people can be excluding of people who can hear, I'm slightly worried I wouldn't fit in there either.

Ah not quite. There are some "deafer then thou" people, BUT overall if you act like you want to learn BSL and are really into the community, and don't act like you're better then them b/c you can speak or b/c you're "better educated" you'll be accepted. I have a friend who wasn't accepted into the whole deaf culture thing BUT, the thing is she's very high and mighty about the stupidest stuff ever....like she emits very bad vibes. But if you go into the system with the right attitude you'll be accepted. I also wonder if the "acceptance" might be due to people encountering the extreme deaf militants and certain people thinking that they're being rejected for being too "hearing" when it's their attitude.

Welcome! I had the same kinds of questions originally, but I have found the local Deaf community to be very welcoming.

Hi! I have had progressive hearing loss for years and recently it got severe. I am also partially blind like you. I am in the same boat right now. I have intermediate ASL skills, but the one and only time I tried to meet some deaf people I felt isolated. I think people thought that, because I can hear a little and my signing is poor that I didn't diserve to be a part of the group. I feel really isolated by hearing people too so it often seems that there is no place for me. It's not easy not being able to clearly communicate with hearing or deaf people and being welcomed by neither.

Because I am not an expert on deaf culture and something of a 'newly-hard-of-hearing person,' all I can say is that you should be yourself and hope that people embrace you as you are. I'm sure if you are friendly and kind, with time, you'll find acceptance.

Don't worry about trying to be accepted in a group. Important thing is making friends, rather than worrying about a whole group.

:welcome: (Welcome) to AllDeaf forum. It is better if you don't mention to the Deaf Community in your area about what you can hear. Hearing is not that important. The thing is that Deaf Community were tired of trying to understand hearing people like you are doing trying to fit in the hearing society. But it is not working. So if they accept you as long as you can do the BSL once you have master it, then you will be fine. Just go pace with your learning to sign BSL. I do hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave: (wave to you)

Thanks for the reply. I will try to master BSL, although it may get mixed up with the Makaton I'm learning with my partner.

:wave:

Hi! I have had progressive hearing loss for years and recently it got severe. I am also partially blind like you. I am in the same boat right now. I have intermediate ASL skills, but the one and only time I tried to meet some deaf people I felt isolated. I think people thought that, because I can hear a little and my signing is poor that I didn't diserve to be a part of the group. I feel really isolated by hearing people too so it often seems that there is no place for me. It's not easy not being able to clearly communicate with hearing or deaf people and being welcomed by neither.

Because I am not an expert on deaf culture and something of a 'newly-hard-of-hearing person,' all I can say is that you should be yourself and hope that people embrace you as you are. I'm sure if you are friendly and kind, with time, you'll find acceptance.

Thank you! I will try to be as kind and friendly as I can, although that should always be the case :)

:D

I don't know about the "deaf community" but every deaf person I've met has been very nice to me. One of my deaf friends frequently comes out and hangs out with me and my hearing friends and I interpret. I'm hearing, so the "community" can hate all it wants, as long as the people are nice to me! lol

I think of it like politics or religion. I have issues with political parties, but have some dear friends who are members of those parties. Hate the groups' politics, love my friends. I bet this works the same way. My suspicion is that many Deaf people with negative feelings hate "Hearing People" not individual hearing persons. If that makes sense. I have never had anyone give me the "I don't like you, hearie" vibe. Sometimes the "I don't like you, Kelly" vibe, but that is another story (hee hee)

Just blend in with the culture of the group as much as you realistically can (When in Rome, do as the Romans) and I'm sure you will get along fine.

Back