Understanding a whole new world

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Mary. I have always wanted to learn sign language and am in the process of trying to launch a campaign to make ASL (American Sign Language) a second national language.

We make other "tongues" available to students, and once out of school is rarely ever used. ASL, however, can be universally used and initiated into our everyday language patterns all over the country.

I am looking forward to engaging with you, one and all, and becoming a better person through association with a whole new world.

Hi, My name is Mary. I have always wanted to learn sign language and am in the process of trying to launch a campaign to make ASL (American Sign Language) a second national language.

We make other "tongues" available to students, and once out of school is rarely ever used. ASL, however, can be universally used and initiated into our everyday language patterns all over the country.

I am looking forward to engaging with you, one and all, and becoming a better person through association with a whole new world.
ASL is not the only sign language in the world. There's BSL, Auslan and others. Also, within the USA there are dialects just like spoken language.

I applaud you for trying to make ASL more widely used. A few years ago, Delaware made ASL a "foreign" language for high school students. Unfortunately, our state college(s) did not, and probably still does not, recognize it as fulfilling the foreign language requirements for incoming students.

Back