Turning Over a New Leaf

amedel

Reaction score
Hi my name is Aaron and I live in CA. I'm HOH and I'm going through the stages of loosing most of my remaining hearing abilty. This has meant needing to make new friends. Im in college again and Im hoping that a second career in law somehow will be possible - So if you pratice law as a deaf person I would love to hear from you. Im 38 years old divorced father and I enjoy going to the movies, camping and would love to scubadive one day. Look forward to meeting you
:wave: Aaron
facebook/aaron.medel

Hi Aaron. I have just joined the forums but have been hearing impaired for many years. The hearing problems have just gotten more and more serious in recent years.

After having gone thru several pages of posts here, it seems to me that a lot of the members are students. I was hearing impaired when I was a kid but went right on thru college without hearing aids. After being in the working world for about 10 years, I returned to graduate school. This was right at 30 years ago.

Back in school, I realized I was in BIG trouble. My jobs had never involved working with groups of people and I didn't realize how much of my hearing was based on lip reading. Every time the prof turned away from me, I couldn't hear what was being said! I couldn't hear the other students in class. I got the hearing aids within a few months and could hardly believe that I was able to go thru the 1st semester without them!

Anyway, I completed a master's program in my mid-30's. I was a divorced single dad at the same time. I was in anthropology and just went back to farming with some grant writing for social programs on the side. I have some understanding of what you are going thru. Now, if you can just find an attorney on here who can tell you about practicing law with our communication problems . . . :)

Any luck with transferring to CSUN maybe? They have a dhh program.

. I was hearing impaired when I was a kid but went right on thru college without hearing aids. After being in the working world for about 10 years, I returned to graduate school. This was right at 30 years ago.
Adam, just to show how much things have changed the new terminology is deaf and hard of hearing rather then hearing impaired.
and jeez..........you went through GRAD SCHOOL with NO hearing aids?!?!?

Thank you for that correction!

No, I was only without hearing aids the first semester. Things became easier with the hearing aids but I just hadn't realized how bad my hearing was until I went back to school.

It was like having the house fall in on me, that first semester.

Adam, just to show how much things have changed the new terminology is deaf and hard of hearing rather then hearing impaired.

I don't use those terms, so it's a matter of prefence.

As for hearing aids, I can't imagine going an hour without them, never mind for the entire graduate experience......:eek3:

Laura

Aaron. What would be the problem doing law? Your hearing would not be a barrier since you could do lots of legal work without needing to even being able to hear. Unless of course you want to be a dead ironsides

I don't use those terms, so it's a matter of prefence.

As for hearing aids, I can't imagine going an hour without them, never mind for the entire graduate experience......:eek3:

Laura

Then again, you do not identify as deaf or hoh anyway. I mean overall as a GROUP the correct terminology is d/hh for young folks....for late deafened people or people who feel very negative about being dhh, it's hearing impaired.....and that doesn't surprise me. You are dependent on them , and cannot function without them....that's very sad.

Back