Terp Major NEED Community!

aslpoe914

Reaction score
Hello!!

Due to my lack of a vehicle, it has been horrible trying to get out in the deaf community! I'm a terp major and I REALLY need to get it together. If there are any Deaf/HOH that would like to sign with me let me know! I would love to learn more about the culture and really dive in, that would be awesome. I look forward to talking to you!

Porsche :)

I hate to tell you this but unless you're going to be strictly a VRS terp, or you can take cabs, you'll need a car. If you're going to be a community terp, you'll live in your car. :lol:

Reba is right. She may be joking but you don't need to get a car to get into the Deaf community. What is wrong with taking the cab or even take the local bus to get to their destination? If you want to get into the Deaf community, you gotta find a way to get around to that. You can not make excuses just because you want to come online to practice your ASL. So be honest with us or we will be blunt with you about the true fact not to fool the Deaf or Hard Of Hearing. :roll:

Reba is right. She may be joking but you don't need to get a car to get into the Deaf community. What is wrong with taking the cab or even take the local bus to get to their destination? If you want to get into the Deaf community, you gotta find a way to get around to that. You can not make excuses just because you want to come online to practice your ASL. So be honest with us or we will be blunt with you about the true fact not to fool the Deaf or Hard Of Hearing. :roll:

Depends on place of residence. Where I live (three towns run together total around 15-20 thousand) we have neither scheduled bus service or cab company. The bus that is available is the type of thing where you have to call the day before you want service.

You are correct that a signing student doesn't need a car to get involved in the deaf social community. However, if and when this student does indeed become a terp, a car is almost a necessity in most areas for community terps. Community terps are on call at all hours and days, and often those calls don't match up with public transportation schedules, if even available.

Staff and VRS terps have more regular schedules, so they can plan their transportation easier.

Obviously, there are exceptions but that has been my experience. :)

Often, deaf monthly eat-and-greets are held at mall food courts, so there's a good chance those would be on a bus route.

Depends on place of residence. Where I live (three towns run together total around 15-20 thousand) we have neither scheduled bus service or cab company. The bus that is available is the type of thing where you have to call the day before you want service.
Where I live, there is no bus service except for the call ahead bus service for the disabled and elderly. Most of my terp assignments were at least a 30-minute drive one way.

Where I live, there is no bus service except for the call ahead bus service for the disabled and elderly. Most of my terp assignments were at least a 30-minute drive one way.

Where I live it is the same service but if you are willing to pay your own way my understanding is anyone can use the service.

Back