Teenage driving and auto accidents at a glance

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Do you think that teenagers as young as age 15 (when they can start for a permit) should begin driving? Sometimes although it might seem nice to do, it may not necessarily be a good thing. Research and statistics across many sites have shown that teenage accidents are the number one killer of all teens, with increased accident potential during the summer months.

Web sources to add:

http://www.wrap.org/pdfs/08_safety_tips.pdf
“There are nearly 50-percent more drunk driving deaths involving teens during the summer monthsthan during any other time of the year,” said Kurt Gregory Erickson, WRAP’s President. “For too many parents, unfortunately, summer’s unstructured time may also be a deadly time for their teenage children and their friends."

III - Insurance Information Institute

NEW YORK, July 1, 2008 — Summer months mean teen drivers are out of school, on the road and behind the wheel more frequently, which can be a strain on the fortitude as well as the finances of their parents. Families with teen drivers should educate them about driving safely and make sure they and their teen are properly insured, according to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.).

The odds of a teenage driver having an accident are high. According to SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) research, teens spend 44 percent more hours driving each week in the summer than during the school year. Furthermore, 16-year-olds have higher crash rates than drivers of any other age. Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among 15- to 20-year olds. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, 3,490 drivers in this age group died in motor vehicle crashes in 2006 and an additional 272,000 were injured. In the same year, drivers aged 15 to 20 accounted for 12.9 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes and 16 percent of all drivers involved in police-reported crashes.

Teen drivers have more accidents - SI Advance Newslog

The wreck was one among thousands of accidents involving teen drivers in New York each year. According to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, in 2005 alone there were 38,689 car accidents for the 16-20 age driving set, including 900 fatalities.
Teen Drivers ages 16 to 19 have death rates four times that of a driver age 25-29 years of age.

Teen drivers have a higher accident rate than most on the road, and it only gets worse in the summer months. Research conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found that the average number of teen-age driving deaths rises a chilling 20 percent during July and August.

The weeks between Memorial Day and Labor Day (May to September) are the most dangerous of the year.

July 4 is by far the most dangerous day of the year to drive, and July 3 is the second worst."

Fatal Car Crashes: Death from Car Accident, Teenage Car Accidents

NEW TEEN CAR ACCIDENT DATA: Complied 2005 and 2007 posted

• Automobile accidents are the top killer among teenagers
Drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 cause over $40 billion in damages per the NHSTA
• In 2005, 23% of teenagers killed were under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• You’re more likely to get in an accident at 16 than at any other age
• Accident rates for 16 to 19 year olds is higher at those ages than any other group
Teens are 3 times more likely to get in an accident after 9:00pm daily
• Teens are more likely to be par of an accident when they have passengers than without
• Males between 16 and 19 are 1.5 times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than females within the same age group.
Teens have the lowest use of seatbelt rate

SADD Press Releases
The Liberty Mutual/SADD survey results provide supporting evidence of recent National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics that show that more teens die in car crashes during the summer months (June through September) than any other time of the year. Of the 6,434 youth (ages 15-20) car crash fatalities in 2000, July saw more deaths (644) than any other month, followed by June (600), September (590) and August (587).

Allstate Newsroom - News Release Archives - 100 Of The Deadliest Days For Teens Begin When The School Year Ends
"The summer months are when young drivers are at most risk, and with events such as graduation and prom in the coming weeks, it's vital for teens and their parents to be aware of the dangers," said George Ruebenson, president of Allstate Protection, Allstate Insurance Company.

CDC -Teen Drivers: Fact Sheet

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens, accounting for more than one in three deaths in this age group.1 In 2005, twelve teens ages 16 to 19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries.

In the United States during 2005, 4,544 teens ages 16 to 19 died of injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes. In the same year, nearly 400,000 motor vehicle occupants in this age group sustained nonfatal injuries that required treatment in an emergency department.1 Overall, in 2005, teenagers accounted for 10 percent of the U.S. population and 12 percent of motor vehicle crash deaths.

Young people ages 15-24 represent only 14% of the U.S. population. However, they account for 30% ($19 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among males and 28% ($7 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among females.2

With this in mind, should America toughen up the driving laws? Let it slide by? Or should they do something about it?
What about the businesses who make bonus money from teenage accidents?

I would think the concern would be more toward prevention of teenaged accidents than how it affects businesses.

Frankly, I think they are too immature to drive in the first place. Kids like to party, you know. So if they can not do it in the summer, it will be during other times. I think kids around the world drinks and party... it is the matter of how they get around.

Frankly, I think they are too immature to drive in the first place. Kids like to party, you know. So if they can not do it in the summer, it will be during other times. I think kids around the world drinks and party... it is the matter of how they get around.

Yep. Look at the number of fatal and near fatal accidents that occur during prom season. That is not in the summer months.

Lots of accidents regarding teens who "text" while driving. I do believe some states are trying to pass the law where "both hands" must be on the steering wheel, no phones, texting....I did see a video awhile back, where people were questioning this, because the deaf use ASL and don't speak verbally.

Personally, I feel 15 is a bit young.....then again, what is TOO old to drive?

I don't let my 17 yr. old drive my car unless I'm with him. Even then, my stomach is in knots!...my 14 yr. old will be 15 in July, so another one "coming up".

If my son make straight A's from Jr. high to high school, I will let him drive his own car at 16.. If he make so and so grades, he get a license but borrow our car (he'll just have to wait til he is 18 to get his own car)... but if he keep making horrible grades, I'll just let him have a learner at 16 until he have proven himself. The reason for a learner because I think every teens need to learn to drive.

well, the way I see is that some teen get pregnant and have a child, so they need to get around and provide for their child without having to depend on their parents so much.

Plus, you have to prepare them to learn how to drive before they go off to college. because I had to depend on my boyfriends to get around. I didn't have a license til I was 21 because there was no one there to teach me how to drive. I finally had to pay a lesson from private driving lesson which is expensive, but he let me drive at least 10 times before I got my license... Yes, I actually practice driving 10 times before I got my license! No more than that because no one would let me practice driving in their car and I didn't have a car. I had to use my driving school car to get my license.

btw, I think if people want to make drinking and driving license 21 of age as well as adult age at 21 in college (because of VT shooting and not permitted to discuss his parents about his mental health. Some colleges want to be able to notify the students' parents with any problems they have with the student), then I think people should not vote at 21 of age too. I think these kids are just way too immature to vote :P

Last edited:
If my son make straight A's from Jr. high to high school, I will let him drive his own car at 16.. If he make so and so grades, he get a license but borrow our car (he'll just have to wait til he is 18 to get his own car)... but if he keep making horrible grades, I'll just let him have a learner at 16 until he have proven himself. The reason for a learner because I think every teens need to learn to drive.

I agree!

However, when my child is driving, no hats or sunglasses on. It's too bright? Tough! You are still a minor, no sunglasses, no hats on. I had one trainer when I drove truck that forbad me to wear sunglasses (it was also winter).

I think kids should be on their permits for several years of experience behind the wheel with veteren drivers before going on their own. I would have to confirm this but I do belevie that auto accidents are the number one killer of teens.

rockdrummer;1321862[B said:
]I think kids should be on their permits for several years of experience behind the wheel with veteren drivers before going on their own.[/B] I would have to confirm this but I do belevie that auto accidents are the number one killer of teens.

I agree! My daughter just turned 12 so I am just dreading the day she can start driving. It is approaching too fast! Now, I can understand how my mom must have felt when I went out driving with my friends at 16 years old. Scary!

I really think that it's high time to set age 18 as the legal driving age... much safer, overall.

I don't talk about the mature ones but rather majority because more and more late teens are still immature unlike our past society had seen to be honest. Today's 16-17 ages are much like 13-14 ages in the distant past... speaking mere of responsibility and maturity.

Yup, its getting more considerable nowadays! I won't be surprised that the government might start to discuss and push the age limit someday, way overdue I think.

My daughters will not start driving until they are 17...at least. Period. They also will not be riding in cars driven by 17 year olds or younger. Period.

My daughters will not start driving until they are 17...at least. Period. They also will not be riding in cars driven by 17 year olds or younger. Period.

I would suggested 21 years or old.

I have ride with 16-19 years too dangerous they like drive fast.

I am OPPOSITE. I don't drive fast due my 3 vehicles too old until I am really so mad I drive fast but it hurt engine and transmission.

BIG problem is parents have no idea what their kids go with car. they could have race or party. My Dad refused let me drive F250 when I got license he make me get my truck but now he rarely let me use F250 until I beg I need for tow stuff.

Those teens who was dead from accident are most time popular or BIG EGO.

here story about my accident last year. I was 17 years old but put 13,000 miles in 4 months but girl just got license and BRAND NEW 2008 jeep liberty 1 week old have 20 miles. You know what happened. Her jeep TOTAL but my truck not total just need bumper and fender that all. She was drive on middle of lane that not suppose for drive but for turn. She drive for 1/2 miles until I try across road BAM she went 40 mph in 35 speed limit. That why I couldn't see until moving few feets and knew I need moving fast but too late.

Problem is when they get license they think I can do anything. Not me my Dad would put gps in my truck when I have no idea until he ask me why I visit my friend that time. I learn that tell your parent where you go. One thing he is very happy that I don't follow bad group of teens that want trouble.

I would suggested 21 years or old.

I have ride with 16-19 years too dangerous they like drive fast.

I am OPPOSITE. I don't drive fast due my 3 vehicles too old until I am really so mad I drive fast but it hurt engine and transmission.

BIG problem is parents have no idea what their kids go with car. they could have race or party. My Dad refused let me drive F250 when I got license he make me get my truck but now he rarely let me use F250 until I beg I need for tow stuff.

Those teens who was dead from accident are most time popular or BIG EGO.

here story about my accident last year. I was 17 years old but put 13,000 miles in 4 months but girl just got license and BRAND NEW 2008 jeep liberty 1 week old have 20 miles. You know what happened. Her jeep TOTAL but my truck not total just need bumper and fender that all. She was drive on middle of lane that not suppose for drive but for turn. She drive for 1/2 miles until I try across road BAM she went 40 mph in 35 speed limit. That why I couldn't see until moving few feets and knew I need moving fast but too late.

Problem is when they get license they think I can do anything. Not me my Dad would put gps in my truck when I have no idea until he ask me why I visit my friend that time. I learn that tell your parent where you go. One thing he is very happy that I don't follow bad group of teens that want trouble.

In bold, I don't agree with you because adult age is 18 years old and they have own choice to get license due adult. Wait until 21 years old is too far because they need car for school, job and other errands.

I got first license when I was 15 years and don't receive a full license until 16 years old, I had been in major accident at once in earlier time and after that, I got used with driving.

Some teen drivers are more mature than 21 years old drivers.

I agree!

However, when my child is driving, no hats or sunglasses on. It's too bright? Tough! You are still a minor, no sunglasses, no hats on. I had one trainer when I drove truck that forbad me to wear sunglasses (it was also winter).
Why no sunglasses or hats?

Back