Teaching of ASL in highschool

Froda

Reaction score
What do you think of some high schools teaching ASL as a foreign language? I think its a great idea, because it's about time they've accepted Deaf people as a culture (which I do agree it is a culture). The only problem I'm having with the class is the books. They're not that helpful, putting a 3-d image on a 2-d surface makes it hard to learn. I've learned more at silent dinners and from my teacher than I have from the textbook. :)

Froda said:
What do you think of some high schools teaching ASL as a foreign language? I think its a great idea, because it's about time they've accepted Deaf people as a culture (which I do agree it is a culture). The only problem I'm having with the class is the books. They're not that helpful, putting a 3-d image on a 2-d surface makes it hard to learn. I've learned more at silent dinners and from my teacher than I have from the textbook. :)

There are ASL videos, ASL on CD, and then there are deaf events. In-classroom and textbook alone won't be sufficent for a person to sign fluently.
Some colleges offer lab hours where there are deaf techicans at hands to help ASL students to beef up their fluency.

my aunt patty teaches ASL in highschool

There's classes being offered at more than just colleges and high schools. I'm taking a beginner course through a local interpreting agency this fall. There is a local deaf church that offers classes every once in awhile. But to answer your question, yes, I do think teaching ASL in high school is a good idea. If I recall correctly ASL is the 4th most used language within the USA. But high schools all over the US are offering courses such as Russian, Latin, German, etc. Languages that are not at all common and will likely be forgotten within months of graduation.

Back