Teacher claims he wasn't hired at CHCA because of his sexual orientation

sara1981

Reaction score

CINCINNATI - 9 News is looking into a claim of discrimination against Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy.

Jonathan Zeng says he was offered a job with Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy teaching music at their downtown location, the Armleder School, but because of his sexual orientation, wasn't hired.

Zeng claims that before he was officially hired he had to meet with the head of the school and the board for final approval.

He said a board member called him back in for a meeting to talk about religious questions on his application.

"In those answers I talked about Christ's unconditional love and I talked about how we as followers of Christ, are ultimate goal is to show that love to everyone without judgment," Zeng said.

During the meeting, Zeng claims he was questioned about whether he was a homosexual.

"I was shocked and surprised," he said.

Zeng asked why he was being asked the question. He says the administrator said it was school policy not to employ teachers who are homosexual because of the work with children and the sanctity of marriage.

Zeng was offended and hurt by the comments. He told administrators he was homosexual and claims he wasn't offered the job because of it.

Zeng wrote a detailed letter he sent to the school obtained by 9 News.

It saddens me to think that your students' education is potentially being compromised because of your lack of embrace of true Christian diversity. I was chosen because the hiring committee felt I was the best possible candidate for the position. This opportunity was taken away simply because of how I was created. My sexual orientation has no impact on my teaching abilities or the words that I would say. I am appalled to think that the philosophy of your school would not allow a gay Christian to work with children.

9 News reached out to the school about the allegation and school officials provided us with this statement.

CHCA keeps confidential all matters discussed within a candidate's interview. We're looking into this matter, although the initial information we have seen contains inaccuracies. We will not be discussing individual hiring decisions or interviews.

Zeng is getting support from the local Human Rights Council.

"Right here in Ohio, unfortunately, lesbian, gay, bisexuals and transgender individuals can be fired from their job simply because of their sexual orientation or their gender identity so this example and this issue today, just demonstrates the need that protections are in place for these types of issues," explained Jeff Caywood, a board member of the Human Rights Campaign. "It's not just here in Ohio, it's in 30 states across the U.S., you can discriminate someone based upon their sexual orientation or there gender identity, so there are not protections in place for LGBT employees in the workplace."

A local attorney, Kendall Isaac, who is also a law professor further explains there is no current law that legally protects homosexuals in the workplace.

"Title 7 prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin, but there is nothing in there that mentions sexual orientation. There is currently no law that protects gay employees."

It is just religious school - very unfortunately.

It's wrong.. it's illegal if it can be proven.

But it is a religious school and can be expected. Very sad. I gave music lessons once to two boys who were homeschooled. Their mother made me do it at the house rather than the schools practice rooms because some of my band directors were single men who were older (in their 40's). That connected in her brain that they were obviously gay and she didn't want her kids around them. All I could do was shake my head and do as she wished.

It's not illegal for private religious schools to set their own hiring criteria.

But it is a religious school and can be expected. Very sad. I gave music lessons once to two boys who were homeschooled. Their mother made me do it at the house rather than the schools practice rooms because some of my band directors were single men who were older (in their 40's). That connected in her brain that they were obviously gay and she didn't want her kids around them. All I could do was shake my head and do as she wished.

Maybe it connected in this mother's brain that almost daily there are reports of teachers (gay and straight) that have taken sexual advantage of kids at schools. The news has reported alot about this and the Catholic church. And it happens alot in public and private schools too. Maybe even if her kids were girls she would do the same.

It's not illegal for private religious schools to set their own hiring criteria.

Unfortunately, this right is in the crosshair of the government. The situation with Obamacare proves this point.

The guy knew what he was doing and what would happen when he interviewed. This was staged on his part.

Yup, I think Jonathan Zeng should apply to work at public school and he will be protected under anti-discrimination law that only cover state employees only, or apply to work at secular private school.

I'm not going apply to work at religious institution and church.

Most private companies have anti-discrimination that cover on gay employees now.

Yup, some people don't have any love about homosexual, that's just sad. :(

Back