Struggling with my hearing aids

PaaChao

Reaction score
Hi.

Please can someone give me advice?

I'm severely deaf in both ears and have been wearing hearing aids since I was nine years old. I was diagnosed with mild hearing loss (progressive) when I was young but since then, it's deteriorated.

For the past three years, my hearing has slowly become more and more muffled and distorted to the point where I can only hear sound in my right ear with my hearing aid. I can't hear speech and the sounds are like vibrating noises. It's gradually started to happen to my left ear too. It's at its worst when there are lots of people talking and/or background noise because everything sounds muffled and the distortions make it almost impossible for me to hear. I'm having to rely on sign language a lot more to get around too.

I'm having difficulties with an audiologist who comes from a major hospital to see me once a week at school (I go to a special school which has its own audiology team). She has seen me four times for about 10-20 minutes each time and is convinced that what I'm experiencing is entirely psychological. She refuses to listen to me and is very dismissive. I don't think that it's psychological as it has been getting progressively worse over months and stress doesn't affect it etc. The audiology team at school have tested my hearing aids but they are working fine, so are baffled.

Because my hearing has gotten worse over the summer holidays, I'm thinking of seeing audiology again but do not want to have to put up with the audiologist who comes in. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do

When was the last time you saw an ENT? Perhaps they could get to the bottom of your hearing issues.

Have you spoken to your parents about your hearing getting worst , I think that audi has psychological issues ! Just hearing this made my blood boil .
I hope you can get to see a better audi and find out what is going with your hearing.

Have you spoken to your parents about your hearing getting worst , I think that audi has psychological issues ! Just hearing this made my blood boil .
I hope you can get to see a better audi and find out what is going with your hearing.

THIS! Also hope you can get evaluated for a CI, as this is the perfect case to get one.....

Definitely go to a different audiologist. I would recommend doing a speech-in-noise test (is that the correct term in English?) since sometimes there is no difference in an audiogram, but the word recognition might have decreased anyway.

Definitely need to see a different Audi. If you were severe but now have dipped into profound loss your hearing aids may be functioning properly but yet can't help handle your loss anyone. As someone that had progressive hearing loss I can tell you the difference between severe loss and profound loss is HUGE as far as discriminating speech goes.

I say HAD because I lost all of it, no more left to lose, it can't "progress" any further.

Back