Staten Island Deaf Club strives to preserve its culture

Smithtr

G.G.H.T
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot has changed in the 58 years since the Staten Island Club of the Deaf was formed, but it remains integral to a membership that is as dedicated as ever, albeit diminished in size.

Vice President Lester Siegel removes a plaque from the wall: It's a 1989 Advance article marking the deaf club's 35th anniversary.

"In the past, it was a big deal having a deaf club," said board member Joe Pucciarelli. "Now our numbers are diminishing due to many factors."

Pucciarelli has been a member of the club for 45 years and is featured in the article.

In the nearly half-century Pucciarelli has been active, he has seen a great deal of change. Technological advancements, for example, have had a significant impact on the hearing-impaired community's relationship with the club.

"Technology is positive for us, because it allows us to communicate," said President Charles DiMarco. "But it's also negative because it's downsizing the club."

Developments such as closed captioning, text messaging and home video are taking the place of services once provided exclusively by the club.

Medical advancements such as cochlear implant surgery have also had profound effects on the deaf community. The surgery is a procedure in which a tiny electronic device is inserted behind the ear, inside the skull: The effect is a prosthetic substitute for hearing. Though the implant is expensive and does not entirely replicate the sense of hearing, it has affected the way some deaf people communicate and has even been met with criticism by those within the deaf community who wish to preserve their way of life.

Changes in education are another reason why the club's membership, which now stands at about 50, has fallen.

"More deaf children are being placed in mainstream programs," said Pucciarelli. "There, they will lose their identity and will not develop an understanding of the culture."

It's not just this club that is experiencing diminished attendance.

According to DiMarco, there were 17 such clubs in New York City 25 years ago. Now there are only two, and Staten Island's is the only one with a building, at 92 Victory Blvd. The other club is the Brooklyn Society for the Deaf.

The Staten Island Club of the Deaf endures, as does its commitment to serving its community and culture.

Alexandria Pucciarelli serves as the American Sign Language interpreting services coordinator.

"We provide different workshops, monthly themed parties and resources for the members," said Miss Pucciarelli.

Taxes, lawyers, interpretation and Social Security services were among resources she listed.

The club's commitment was evident in the wake of Hurricane Sandy last October, when many hearing-impaired victims were left without assistance.

Club volunteers helped victims by aiding them in filling out forms and by sending volunteers to Island emergency help centers.

"We were left in the dark," said Miss Pucciarelli. "(FEMA) did not really reach out to us until we had to chase them down."

Despite advancing technology and an increase in sign language education, Siegel said there still exists a "communication barrier."

The Staten Island Club of the Deaf, which purchased its Tompkinsville location in 1980, is a space where the hearing-impaired can "celebrate their culture."

Upcoming events, such as the Aloha Bash on Friday and "deaf movie night" on Sept. 7, perpetuate the legacy of the club.

"What remains the same is how we value our culture," said Miss Pucciarelli.

Tom O'Connor is a news reporter for the Advance. He may be reached at oconnor@siadvance.com.

CAP: Members of the Staten Islamd Deaf Club, one of only two in the city, include Joseph Pucciarelli, Alexandria Pucciarelli, President Charles DiMarco and Vice President Lester Siegel.

CRED: STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE: TOM O'CONNOR

Staten Island Deaf Club strives to preserve its culture | SILive.com

I went to both clubs, SICD and BSD. I can't stand SICD's current president at all. He is a frigging arrogant dickwad.:giggle:

BSD is more friendly and calm.

I used to go to SICD a lot when I was 15 until 19. I don't rememeber if I ever came back after that :hmm: I went couple of times to BSD at this time. lots of my friends went to sicd so I followed. Life goes on

I am SO sick of the "Oh it's all CIs fault" thinking.....Some people are very good implant users....but they're still NOT hearing......Might as well blame digital hearing aids!

I am SO sick of the "Oh it's all CIs fault" thinking.....Some people are very good implant users....but they're still NOT hearing......Might as well blame digital hearing aids!

err...I think its hearing people's fault for deciding to implant on 'as many deaf as possible' so I disagree it, it is has to do with CI.. to a degree, (not as big)....BUT ...I also believe the decline has a lot more to do with way of general technology (mobile phones, computers, networking) in other words traditional social networking is affected....another thing is, people are finding transport to attend social event more expensive..so they don't go as much...

overall, its a combination all of these above AND CI....

err...I think its hearing people's fault for deciding to implant on 'as many deaf as possible' so I disagree it, it is has to do with CI.. to a degree, (not as big)....BUT ...I also believe the decline has a lot more to do with way of general technology (mobile phones, computers, networking) in other words traditional social networking is affected....another thing is, people are finding transport to attend social event more expensive..so they don't go as much...

overall, its a combination all of these above AND CI....

but the effectiveness of implantation in the pediatric population has been mixed........Also only a small percentage of pediatric deaf kids are implanted....Granted what is extremely dumb is assuming that HOH or implanted kids can't be Deaf........

Back