sounds in my head

gentle

Reaction score
I just joined alldeaf and I want to share my problem with you. I am profoundly deaf, have been for 11 years, am now 61, and for the past few years I've been
"hearing" soft pounding in my left ear (about one every 2 seconds) occasionally. I can go for months with no sound, then suddenly the noise starts up. It can disappear when I stand up, never bothers me when I sleep, and I don't know what causes it. Could it be my level of activity or my meds? Can someone help me figure this out? Thank you.

gentle

Medication can cause tinnitus but so can stress or it can just occur because you have a hearing loss, even people that have "normal" hearing can sometimes experience tinnitus.
I used to get tinnitus occasionally in different sounds but since I've developed anxiety (roughly 1 year ago) I haven't had a second peace from tinnitus so it depends on your personal circumstances too.
I tend to get more tinnitus when it's quiet, when I don't have my hearing aids in I notice it more, or when I'm listening to certain songs / get a fright etc.
You can buy certain things to help ease tinnitus like relaxation CD's or you can search online for sounds to help relax tinnitus but these don't work with everyone.
I have a device to help ease my tinnitus but I don't like it. Sometimes it can make my tinnitus worse or my tinnitus can "mimic" the sounds.

It can be your heart. Especially if it will disappear from a change like standing up.

You should have your doctor check it.

It can be your heart. Especially if it will disappear from a change like standing up.

You should have your doctor check it.

Very interesting. I did not know that. You just gave me an education about that. Wow! That could be the problem there. :hmm:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, gentle. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I had the same thing happening to me when I'm not wearing my hearing aid and it did happen one time where I thought my old hearing aid was going haywire LOL!!

I've only been deaf six months. Profoundly deaf. So far no hearing aids etc. I have terrible noise almost 24/7. Sounds like an air compressor. If I move my head it gets worse. On top of that I hear music and what seems like talk radio which wakes me up very early. Good luck with your problems. Love from California

thanks LOL
no aids? well you should try some cooler hearing aids they have now
I've been that way since I was an infant :)

Welcome to AD gentle.

I have a weak tinnitus that does not bother me much and I am fine with it. It has some odd pattern that the volume goes up and down all the time varying, the rhythm varying with the heart beats. Just after a heart beat, the volume is relatively loud and then it goes up just before a heart beat.

I would guess that it is something to do me blood pressure in my case, but frankly, I do not know. Nor does any doctor that I have ever had.

Back