Smart Phones, Verizon, VCO/TTY Possibilities

TGBrowning

Reaction score
I've had a "smart phone" for awhile now, mostly using it for IM with my family and a few friends. When the phones got a bit larger screen and more memory, I ended up putting movies with captioning in memory so I could watch stuff when I had to wait around for something or other.

And, just two weeks ago, got the new Motorola Droid X2 and have now, finally, gotten through what documentation is available.

Does anybody know of someone who has used a Verizon smart phone (Droid whatever, etc) for a VCO call? Darn thing has a page in the set up to do not only TTY, but HVO and VCO. Can this actually be done?

Who knows of anybody who can help me figure out how to get these newer phones to work?

TG Browning
tgbrowning@yahoo.com

Technology is still new if they have invented new smartphones plus other types of phone for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I would rather use TDD (TTY). I used very rarely on VO (voice over) but I would rather have the relay operator talk better than using my voice. There are other Deaf people using the video phone like Skype or ooVoo if you know how to sign ASL for communication. If you receive a new phone and wonder how to work with this new phones. The box will have manual or instruction on how to work with this phone. Otherwise, you will have to call the phone company where you live and ask them to come over to help you set up your new phone (just a suggestion). I hope you have good luck on this. See you around here if you are interest in AllDeaf in spite of the new technologies. :wave:

Portability an Issue

Thanks for the reply. The big reason I'm interested is portability. Taking a special phone around with me that's as large as a couple of 8-Track (whoooaa - how retro can you get) tapes isn't what I want to do. When I travel, I travel as light as possible and can't recall the last time I checked a bag with an airline heading at the start of a trip. Have a couple of times returning with extra stuff but not really all that often.

What bothers me is that these new smart phones are really just small, specialized computers. The Android family OS is derived from Linux and people can program their own applications for them if they chose (and know programming). The OS is also very widely used and the guts for doing TTY, HCO, or VCO is already a part of the operating system. That's why it shows up in the setting menus for the phone.

So, I should be able to do this, but for the life of me, I don't know how.

----

I'll stick around. I've got some other issues I want to ask about and get input from other people. One of my other problems is that ASP escapes me almost entirely. It's only in the last year or so that I've begun to understand why.

My eyesight is a problem as well, and has ALWAYS been a problem. That's one of the main reasons I've never been able to learn a foreign language worth a damn in my life, and I have really, really tried (for years at a stretch) to learn Spainish, Russian and German with very little success. I've never been able to speak a foreign language or understand a foreign language verbally. I'm not dumb; I've been able to learn to read languages pretty well.(Spanish especially)

People don't really realize how much all of the senses mesh togeter to give one language skills.

Browning>>>

Back