Satellite Internet video phone (VP)

OrcaNW

Reaction score
I am WildBlue Satellite Internet user, the reason my location is in remote area and sit in dense timber and hills (no cable and no DSL are available) is. My VP is losing due to growing the tall tree. I will have a technician to move the dish soon.
Well, I am waiting to see Huges' SpaceWay satellites to launch this year, 2007.
And I was told to contact with my local radio station to get a better VP than satellites. Anyone knows this?

VP is not fully compatible with satellite internet due high latency issue.

If you have high ms ping, more as you can get kick out from host and disconnect from VP because client cannot tolerate at high ms ping, such as lags and waste of their time.

What Pac Man just said is true. Satellite tend to have few seconds delay with transmission, VP can not have these kinds of delay. The idea of radiowaves, I have seen some success, but they are NOT cheap! Most important part is to ask them what are the upload speed. I generally recommended 350KBPS or higher. *Note* there are two speeds involved with Internet, one is Download, most high speed Internet service provider usually exceed the minimum requirement, however they generally don't tell you the truth about upload speed.
Even the fact that VP can deal with 256KBPS upload speed. The reason my recommendation of 350 is to allow some room left if there is some latency issue, or slow down due to other device using same line.

I am WildBlue Satellite Internet user, the reason my location is in remote area and sit in dense timber and hills (no cable and no DSL are available) is. My VP is losing due to growing the tall tree. I will have a technician to move the dish soon.
Well, I am waiting to see Huges' SpaceWay satellites to launch this year, 2007.
And I was told to contact with my local radio station to get a better VP than satellites. Anyone knows this?

It totally sucks to be out in the middle of nowhere with no access to wired high speed internet.

One small possibility is to see if you can convince a DSL provider to provision you DSL service over your existing POTS line even if it's less than the advertised speeds, so long as you can get at least 150kbps up and down. The reason for this is that SnapVRS currently offers the OJO videophone, which, thanks to its use of the H.264 video compression standard (AKA MPEG4), is able to rely on a minimum bandwidth speed of 150kpbs, both up and down, to provide clear video quality.

The other videophones (i.e., VP-100/Dlink 1000/VP-200) in the market rely on H.263 video codecs (MPEG2) which require just about 2x greater speeds than H.264 for watchable video quality.

Back