Ryan from Alaska!!!!

Ryno

Reaction score
Hey guys, My name is Ryan, I am a 25 year old, hearing preschool teacher here in North Pole, Alaska. I went to college for 2 years for ASL, but then had to move from New Orleans to Alaska. I did not finish... So I went for my Childhood Associate. I have met a couple deaf people here and a couple HOH people around here and to my shock they didnt have any deaf friends! In new Orleans a bunch (maybe 100) of people met at the coffee shop and just hung out and talked. well. there is nothing like that around here so I wanted to get a bunch of people together to get ideas and maybe some friendships. I have one deaf student he is only 3 and has hearing parents, so he does not know any ASL, other than the stuff I have taught him... Well, let me know

Wirelessly posted

No ci, not quite sure what fm system is. Child does not have anything other than state assistance. Financial wise for help at dr's and stuff like that. The parents are planning om moving to Seattle for more assistance...ie learn asl for the parents, better learning environment for the child. The university here only offeres your typical asl 101 and 102. I wish they had more as all I need for my degree is deaf art and music and a couple other deaf culture classes. But its been years since ive signed more than preschool signing with the kids so id prob be better off starting over haha

The parents are planning om moving to Seattle for more assistance...ie learn asl for the parents, better learning environment for the child.
Seattle doesn't really have anything either. ......check out: Washington School for the Deaf
I know from a friend that Washington is very home school,(dhh kids attend their home school) and doesn't have dhh programs or magnet programs.
If they move, maybe it might be better for them to move to a really good Deaf School. I know Oregon School for the Deaf is really good, and is HOH friendly: Oregon School for the Deaf
While they're still in Alaksa have them hook up with Alaska State School for the Deaf: ASD | Alaska State School for Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Back