request for notes

CARTValley

Reaction score
For those of you who have used or use CART services in the classroom, how do you feel about other students having access to the printed notes at school (not e-mailed from the CART provider, but because the notes have to be e-mailed to the school, the school or a teacher allows them to be available)? My concern is if one student complains that what the teacher said was not clear or confusing or incorrect and now has the printed notes to point to, schools eventually will not be as willing to provide for CART services and that would ultimately hurt anyone requesting CART in the first place. Because I've been enrolled in a class before where the teacher was very proud and didn't want to admit his mistakes. So I was wondering what your thoughts are on that because the idea was brought up in my presence recently. I am a CART provider.

Also, if you've used CART in class, I was wondering if your school routinely advise you not to share the e-mailed notes to other students? I'd imagine so.

Thanks for reading/responding.:D

Only time this came up for me was someone in my class asked me if he could see the notes after class because he didn't understand something the teacher said.

The CART reporter was nearby and interupted and said I couldn't as it was school policy that I couldn't share the notes.

I was kind of shocked and asked "You're kidding, there's a policy about this?"

"Yep."

"Why?"

"Oh who knows. Politics, any way, that's the way they want it."

Few weeks later, the reporter asked me to give copies of my notes to a woman in my class so "she'll get off my back." She had missed a lot of classes and she wanted the CART notes.

I found her really annoying and I was irritated/confused by his complete about face so I just said "Oh, but I can't, its against school policy."

He groaned. Asked me again, twice, during the next class and I gave him the same answer. Then he said, in a sort of stressed out voice, "That's my policy! The school is following my policy!"

Thought that was interesting. He gave me the raw, not cleaned up copy, and I figured that was his reason. Thanks for giving your perspective. I understand that university politics can be rough. So I think you are right -- most university professors and instructors probably would be against CART if the notes were widely available to all of the students. Just to be clear, I don't think the pressure would be coming from the schools but from the professors and instructors. Especially since it would be so easy to have the CART notes posted on a web site for anyone to see.

I recall I even had an instructor that forbade the use of tape recorders in his classes. (I don't know if that was legal, but no one ever called him on it. Considering that most students need good grades and need to be on the good side of their instructor -- that's not surprising.) When I took out my FM system he visibly got upset. I had to reassure him it was not a tape recorder.

BTW, for those interested, I gave the nice friendly guy a copy of the notes after he promised not to tell and I never gave any copies to the really, really annoying woman. She never asked me directly either, FWIW. And I still don't understand why the CART reporter never gave her the notes directly if he cared so much about what she wanted. {Shrug} Possibly he just didn't want her to have his e-mail address, or possibly he didn't trust her to keep quiet about getting the notes and he didn't want the school to find out he broke his own policy?

Life can be a soap opera sometimes.

For those of you who have used or use CART services in the classroom, how do you feel about other students having access to the printed notes at school (not e-mailed from the CART provider, but because the notes have to be e-mailed to the school, the school or a teacher allows them to be available)? My concern is if one student complains that what the teacher said was not clear or confusing or incorrect and now has the printed notes to point to, schools eventually will not be as willing to provide for CART services and that would ultimately hurt anyone requesting CART in the first place. Because I've been enrolled in a class before where the teacher was very proud and didn't want to admit his mistakes. So I was wondering what your thoughts are on that because the idea was brought up in my presence recently. I am a CART provider.

Also, if you've used CART in class, I was wondering if your school routinely advise you not to share the e-mailed notes to other students? I'd imagine so.

Thanks for reading/responding.:D

simple - read the TOS with your employer and follow it to the letter. that's your job. period.

Back