Recently mute from brain trauma and learning ASL

HipsterJunkie

Reaction score
Hey so I had a small accident and It caused wires in my brain to cross the wrong way and I can't make words out loud. I'm learning ASL but none of my friends or family are even trying to learn even the alphabet. When I try communicating they just get frustrated and say it's so annoying so I obviously get upset. I don't know what to do, I'm tired or writing everything down or typing it out on my phone and showing it to them. Aren't the people who claim to love me supposed to even try a little? It's so bogus and a major bummer.

Also I don't really know where I belong, I'm hearing but can't talk so I don't know if I'm a part of the deaf community or the world at large so I'm not sure where I fit.

I'm not sure where to go from here with either situation. Any help would be cool.

is it possible for you and family go occupational rehab centre because your family got to understand how hard this is for you...it piss me if that happen I just stop writing it down at some point they learn quick and not as if they got to learn in depth grammer..it must be frustrating for you but don't use words like mute I hate that

I don't see why not if you are interested in learning ASL and will be able to communicate with deaf people then you can be part of the deaf community. As long as you feel comfortable with them, and feel that you understand the deaf culture and everything. SURE!!

Actually, hearing people are welcome as long as they understand our deaf community, deaf culture and us. :)

is it possible for you and family go occupational rehab centre because your family got to understand how hard this is for you...it piss me if that happen I just stop writing it down at some point they learn quick and not as if they got to learn in depth grammer..it must be frustrating for you but don't use words like mute I hate that

Mute is a lot better than the word "Dumb" for the Deaf people. He or she is hearing but just could not talk so the word is correct for "mute". If you don't like the word "mute", then what would you like to call that? Give us the hint. :hmm:

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. I just get a lot of prejudices and hate from deaf people I've tried talking to. As soon as they find out I can hear they get turned off and call me a "heary" and ignore me.

My friend and I just got In a huge argument because he said it was annoying that I can't talk and I only sign. I'm tired of writing down and typing out. It's ridiculous.

I'm the one who is "mute" so if I don't mind it why should other people? It's not ignorant or rude it's just what identifies the fact that I can't talk.

I think mute just sounds archaic.......It's better then nonverbal (although that usually refers to kids with multiple severe issues)
It's not that unusual to see hearing but mute people in the deaf commiunity.....it's rare overall, but that;s b/c mute people (ie mute is their only issue)are rare.

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. I just get a lot of prejudices and hate from deaf people I've tried talking to. As soon as they find out I can hear they get turned off and call me a "heary" and ignore me.

My friend and I just got In a huge argument because he said it was annoying that I can't talk and I only sign. I'm tired of writing down and typing out. It's ridiculous.

I'm the one who is "mute" so if I don't mind it why should other people? It's not ignorant or rude it's just what identifies the fact that I can't talk.

I get a feeling that you hang out with the wrong crowded of the deaf peeps. Were they attending to any college or not at all. I don't look down at any deaf people with their levels of education but i know more where or who they are coming from. Like me i would not give some attitudes to anyone who wants to get involved with deaf community who happens to be hearing. I am an ASL user. i am sorry that it had to happen to you that you had to witness of the haters from deaf peeps. Wrong crowded.

What state are you from?

Mute is a lot better than the word "Dumb" for the Deaf people. He or she is hearing but just could not talk so the word is correct for "mute". If you don't like the word "mute", then what would you like to call that? Give us the hint. :hmm:

unfortunately i i was reading a book at same time as writing and the word dumb was on sentence mute and dumb was on mind realized mistake...some of us stupid:hmm:

I had that happen in college when I went to the for deaf and hoh students office to get some help as I was a new student and been out of school for about 27 years. I do not know ASL and when I asked a person a question I got a look that could kill from everyone in the office b/c I did not use ASL . Not every hoh person know ASL , it's a shame that this keep happening . Something needs to be done so the public is better informed on both sides.

Back