Public transportation as if they are your car

racheleggert

Reaction score
Anyone here uses public transportation as if they are their own cars? I do, I am sure most of you guys already know... Just wondering.. I rely on Public Transportation 100%.

Yep, I am going to take a public bus this Monday. 50 cents each way then i am going to leave my car...

there's no way for me to use public transportation only way is TAXI.. in this small town :/ so i drive, walk, and hopefully soon ride a bike. the gas prices :pissed:

I rely on public transportation at 0%!

Where I work, there is no bus line there. Almost in country.

For me it is way too inconvience for me.

Public Transportation=Zero, zip, zilch, nada in the Farragut (very rich town full of snobs...LOL!) suburbs of Knoxville for me.... so its just my car being my own transportation around Knoxville.

I used to ride on a public transportation for my work a couple of years ago. Now, I drive my own car. It depends the price for the gas. I sort of like to ride on a bus because it makes me feel relax and look out the window.

When I was in Besthesda for my work, I got late in the evening and went on the transportation. All black people and including a driver in the bus looked at me b/c I was only white person. Honestly, I don't discriminate them at all. They just looked at me all the way. I think that was intereting, and glad they are just fine as normal - I think. :)

The only thing that I do not like to hear metal noises inside the bus that got me tired - I think the metal chairs are somehwat loosing that hit each other awhile the bus is moving.

Another issue, there is still a biggest problem dealing the crimes in Washington D.C. - I had been there everyday and it almost never print in the newspaper because Government wants international tours to come and look around the place for money issue. I was lucky that I went on the bus, left, and exact one minute later, a young guy shot some people at the bus station. I saw it on the news when I had a supper at my apartment.

Anyway, I am beginng to wonder about the buses that run on electric/hybrid motor.

I use car for travel to work everyday... I park my car at workplace...

webexplorer said:
Anyway, I am beginng to wonder about the buses that run on electric/hybrid motor.

They exist, in Seattle. We have about 220+ of them in the fleet. New Flyer DE60LF (Diesel Electric 60 feet low floor) It is created by GM with the hybrid drive. They use them to go thru the bus tunnel under downtown seattle without relying on overhead wires. They run on hybrid drive for power and acceleration.
The new buses replace the old Breda tunnel bus which has overhead wire poles for the tunnel (dual mode bus) and switches to diesel when it leaves the tunnel.

The reason is because more flexiblity thru the tunnel while light rail will be in the same tunnel by 2009. The light rail uses different overhead wires that buses can't use. They will close the tunnel on Sept 17, 2005 to retrofit the tracks, overhead wires, etc for up to 2 years.

If you need to know anything more, feel free to ask :)

transport bus or trains.. Made me nerve and waiting for next....

Hate waiting outside hell bad storm or heavy humid or wha..eve.r. I'd rather not ride.. I like have my own transportion.. :)

I ride on the transit buses and trains. I get free limited mobility electronic pass card from the county waiver service.

50 cents per ride on disabled riders with state ID "L" endorsed, and ADA Paratransit ID card.
Outstate ADA paratransit ID card accepted on any buses and trains.

I was on the vacation trip in Tulsa, Ok. I took Tulsa Transit bus and I showed my Metro Mobility ADA paratransit. they're accepted outstate ADA paratransit card pay 10 cents a ride in 1994.

diehardbiker65 said:
I rely on public transportation at 0%!
Where I work, there is no bus line there. Almost in country.
For me it is way too inconvience for me.
Same here for me and Hubby.

Yes, Yes and YES! I don't drive and use PT all the time. In MD/DC/VA it's easy access however when I was living in LA, it was terrible.

In SLC, there are a lot of buses and even two light rail lines. However, I rather to take my car to work. My work is from 9 pm to 7.30 in the morning, so the services are less active, and I would have to make two transfers, thus making it too long of a ride to work and back. Takes me 20 minutes with the car to go to work. Imagine how long with bus and light rail!

Gas prices is unfortunately going up, but fortunately I have a compact car. I only commute to work 4 nights per week since it is 10 hours shifts. So, it really saves me gas and only really needs a half tank to commute to work per week alone. (Work is only 10 miles/16 km away from my home.)

My another job is only five minutes from my home, so I just drive around the corner to work. It's pretty convenient. Food stores and so on are on a prinicipal road one block from my home, so I don't have to drive far to get stuff. When I lived in New Jersey, we lived in the countryside, and had to drive 20 minutes to a food store in another town. If I forget something or need something, it's quite convenient cos the Asian store and the American supermarket is only a block from me.

I don't have a bicycle, but if I had one, I would definitely use it to go to my work 5 minutes away and also for mountain bicycling!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
there's no way for me to use public transportation only way is TAXI.. in this small town :/ so i drive, walk, and hopefully soon ride a bike. the gas prices :pissed:

When ya move to Cities, feel free to use Powercrulz and mine cars, and LRT trains- leave your car @ home.. unless if u wanna go fair, ya can use park and ride, save you money by not paying $9.00 at the fair...

http://www.metrotransit.org/news/events/StateFair/index.asp

racheleggert said:
When ya move to Cities, feel free to use Powercrulz and mine cars, and LRT trains- leave your car @ home.. unless if u wanna go fair, ya can use park and ride, save you money by not paying $9.00 at the fair...

http://www.metrotransit.org/news/events/StateFair/index.asp
i'm planning on taking the city bus to state fair at park and ride.. because last year i drove to state fair and those parking tickets at state fair is pain in ass and can be expensive parking.. and usually they're FULL

and to be frankly honest... There's no way i will ever move back to the cities.. i hate big cities, their traffic, people, blah blah blah.. but i do visit cities to see friends and so forth :cheers:

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i'm planning on taking the city bus to state fair at park and ride.. because last year i drove to state fair and those parking tickets at state fair is pain in ass and can be expensive parking.. and usually they're FULL

and to be frankly honest... There's no way i will ever move back to the cities.. i hate big cities, their traffic, people, blah blah blah.. but i do visit cities to see friends and so forth :cheers:

Where you come from and which direction comes from your town to the cities, you can check it out as rachel's url of MTA website and there is have other 2 transit providers goes state fair from the SouthWest Metro Transit and Minnesota Valley Transit Authority.. $5 round trip (there is *no* one way fare). (All wheelchair accessible)

some nearest state fair offers free shuttle service. (some of wheelchair accessible is avaliable to person in the wheelchair)

I will take train to metrodome/dtwn east station and transfer to bus line 960 (Limited- no stops between downtown and state fairground) (Wheelchair accessible)

PowerWCRulez said:
I ride on the transit buses and trains. I get free limited mobility electronic pass card from the county waiver service.

50 cents per ride on disabled riders with state ID "L" endorsed, and ADA Paratransit ID card.
Outstate ADA paratransit ID card accepted on any buses and trains.

I was on the vacation trip in Tulsa, Ok. I took Tulsa Transit bus and I showed my Metro Mobility ADA paratransit. they're accepted outstate ADA paratransit card pay 10 cents a ride in 1994.

oh really? I would like more information about mobility electronic pass and I am interested in Out state ADA paratransit, too. I live in CT.

BTW, do trains tie down your wheelchair? I went to NYC with my science class on the train for the first time, CT trains don't tie down my wheelchair and it makes me mad, SAFETY UNDER ADA is very important!

I use public transportation too, and I have traveled all over CT and I will reach Hartford for the first time in October! :thumb:

rjr2006 said:
oh really? I would like more information about mobility electronic pass and I am interested in Out state ADA paratransit, too. I live in CT.

BTW, do trains tie down your wheelchair? I went to NYC with my science class on the train for the first time, CT trains don't tie down my wheelchair and it makes me mad, SAFETY UNDER ADA is very important!

Hello Rjr2006,

The trains doesn't need have a ties down, just only set a brakes on, grabbar provided to holds.. My train always packed (nearly full) for the sport events, I have to park in the doorway area. Buses are required to use ties down and belts, I dont use the belts for local route.. just only ties my chair down.. if I ride on the express bus, I requires BOTH ties and belt before the bus entering interstate hwys.

PowerWCRulez said:
Where you come from and which direction comes from your town to the cities, you can check it out as rachel's url of MTA website and there is have other 2 transit providers goes state fair from the SouthWest Metro Transit and Minnesota Valley Transit Authority.. $5 round trip (there is *no* one way fare). (All wheelchair accessible)

some nearest state fair offers free shuttle service. (some of wheelchair accessible is avaliable to person in the wheelchair)

I will take train to metrodome/dtwn east station and transfer to bus line 960 (Limited- no stops between downtown and state fairground) (Wheelchair accessible)
acually i live in kandiyohi county.. 2 hours west of twin cities.. there won't be metro bus transit anyway.. cuz its a small town

Anyway i plan to go somewhere near brooklyn park or anoka.. i think there's one at northtown mall in coon rapids or brookdale in brooklyn center (i don't want brookdale.. that place is horrified)

Back