Proud Mom of Little Deafie

Tasha'sMom

Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm 45, Mom of 2. My younger daughter was diagnosed profoundly Deaf at 11 months, was implanted at 18 months. We started ASL when she was 11 months, BTW. The implant was a total failure due to her wispy nerves, completely absent inner ears. We were in total despair. She did not sit until she was a year old, she didn't walk until she was 2, with a walker. Now, she's 4 and a half. She goes to preschool, signs beautifully, and walks perfectly, thanks to therapeutic riding, where she is a total star. She's funny, smart and awesome. She's cute too, and when I tell people, "Sorry, she can't hear you." They go all sludgy, and say they are "sorry". What for? She's incredibly popular and spoiled rotten. Feel sorry for yourself, because compared to her, your life sucks! :lol: We all sign, and LOVE IT! I can coach my older daughter from a distance, order a hotdog from my husband a block away, and make fun of people in bars without saying a word! Just kidding, but it is useful for "private" info exchanges. :) Just to show you how smart Tasha is: We saw a friend who lost a finger a month ago. Messing with Tasha, I said, "High-five him!" She goes to do it, then stops and counts... I explained what happened in sign. She starts madly signing, "Girl phone! Girl phone!". I was mystified... but then I realized that what she said was this: "There must be a word for that! Look it up on your ASL dictionary on your iPhone!" (the model is a girl). So now, my brilliant, beautiful 4 year old knows the sign for "amputation!". LOL!!! I am happy to talk to anyone about our journey, and get insights on behaviour modification techniques with Deaf children (she's a bit of a sh*t!).
Cheers!

I wish I had a mother like yours accepting your daughter for her deafness. My mother was not accepting my deafness if I needed sign language at school so that I can understand what is going on in the classrooms in both elementary and high school (both mainstreamed). I was very frustrated not getting the accommodations I needed to help me understand what is going on. I am surprise that you don't expect your daughter to be like you as a hearing person. Most hearing parents always hoping and dreaming of having a perfect "normal" hearing person whether he or she had hearing aids or Cochlear Implants. :thumb:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Last edited:
Awww...soooo sweet! Kudos to you for learning sign language for your daughter's sake! :welcome: to AD!!!

Welcome! Does she go to preschool at the BC School for the Deaf? Glad to hear she is doing awesome! :)

welcome.

I understand now about your kid. don't feel bad about not able to hear. Lots of us (same as me) who dont hear well but ASL is a fine thing for us to lead our lives so normal in a hearing world. So I am an ASL user. ASL users do have normal life out there like me and my friends.

I saw the video of your girl .. she is a brilliant girl!!! I regret that i dont work with Deaf school that I want to talk with Deaf kids... :)

Hi there!
I'm 45, Mom of 2. My younger daughter was diagnosed profoundly Deaf at 11 months, was implanted at 18 months. We started ASL when she was 11 months, BTW. The implant was a total failure due to her wispy nerves, completely absent inner ears. We were in total despair. She did not sit until she was a year old, she didn't walk until she was 2, with a walker. Now, she's 4 and a half. She goes to preschool, signs beautifully, and walks perfectly, thanks to therapeutic riding, where she is a total star. She's funny, smart and awesome. She's cute too, and when I tell people, "Sorry, she can't hear you." They go all sludgy, and say they are "sorry". What for? She's incredibly popular and spoiled rotten. Feel sorry for yourself, because compared to her, your life sucks! :lol: We all sign, and LOVE IT! I can coach my older daughter from a distance, order a hotdog from my husband a block away, and make fun of people in bars without saying a word! Just kidding, but it is useful for "private" info exchanges. :) Just to show you how smart Tasha is: We saw a friend who lost a finger a month ago. Messing with Tasha, I said, "High-five him!" She goes to do it, then stops and counts... I explained what happened in sign. She starts madly signing, "Girl phone! Girl phone!". I was mystified... but then I realized that what she said was this: "There must be a word for that! Look it up on your ASL dictionary on your iPhone!" (the model is a girl). So now, my brilliant, beautiful 4 year old knows the sign for "amputation!". LOL!!! I am happy to talk to anyone about our journey, and get insights on behaviour modification techniques with Deaf children (she's a bit of a sh*t!).
Cheers!

Do you call your child deafie too?? I hate that word!! I was called deafie by my sisters and brother when I was a kid and it made me feel horrible!!

Do you call your child deafie too?? I hate that word!! I was called deafie by my sisters and brother when I was a kid and it made me feel horrible!!

I do not mind being called Deafie. I like it. I dont know how hearing people feel about being called Hearies. But again, every deaf/Deaf prefers to be called any names they want. I rather Deaf or Deafie than impaired hearing that is the most joking if they call me I.H..

:bump:

Ummm... You guys do realize the OP was from almost a year ago and she only has 6 posts. I wouldn't hold your breath for a response.

Nah she has been around recently as i haven't greet her. So i had to bump it here.

Nah she has been around recently as i haven't greet her. So i had to bump it here.

:ty: I checked and saw that she made one post almost a year ago and came back yesterday and posted for the first time since the OP.

Welcome Tasha'sMom :)

Back