Photo of light rail station at Seattle Airport

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't take this picture...I borrowed it from Flickr.com.

The platforms can hold up to 4 car trains, but currently they're running 2 car trains since we haven't reached the demand yet. The airport extension just opened on Dec 19th, 2009 and the line from downtown Seattle to Tukwila station opened on July 20th, 2009. If you decide to visit Seattle, be sure to take the train to Downtown Seattle instead of taking the cab which is $40 one way. Taking the train is only $2.50 for the whole trip.

4194863356_6a127019bb.jpg

Bonus....a video of the grand opening.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kQkAupryY[/ame]

Nice light rail train. It does sound cheaper and also faster way to get to airport. :)

$2.50!?!? damn.... wish this train came into service when I was in Seattle last year :mad2:

Man, this really burns me. I live in Kansas City, we had a light rail planed too. The plan was a nice, 4 phase system with phase one the Downtown to the airport, then future phases having branches reaching out to each of the suburbs. It was voted on by the people and was passed, and then the Mayor said that he did not like it, and veto’s the peoples vote on it.
Looking at this video, makes me wish we had it here.

awesome!! If we ever stop into Seattle, I'll make sure we park the car, and go on the rail. :)

Nice train! I had been rode Tri-Max light rail train in Portland Oregon last several years. Ride was smooth!
TRI-MAX.jpg

Nice light rail train. It does sound cheaper and also faster way to get to airport. :)

It's not exactly faster than using the taxi but it's generally reliable than using taxi and cheaper, though.

$2.50!?!? damn.... wish this train came into service when I was in Seattle last year :mad2:

Don't you mean in May 2009?

Man, this really burns me. I live in Kansas City, we had a light rail planed too. The plan was a nice, 4 phase system with phase one the Downtown to the airport, then future phases having branches reaching out to each of the suburbs. It was voted on by the people and was passed, and then the Mayor said that he did not like it, and veto’s the peoples vote on it.
Looking at this video, makes me wish we had it here.

I know the feeling...we are VERY late for rail transit system. Seattle area voters had disapproved for a heavy rail system in 1960's and voted down for some similar system to NYC in 1910's. They finally approved it in 1997, it was postponed many times and finally here 3-4 years late. They also even approved the monorail system in 2000's but we voted it down because of corrupt politics and the cost/inflation did not make any sense at all.

awesome!! If we ever stop into Seattle, I'll make sure we park the car, and go on the rail. :)

Would be better to lave your car at home and take the plane there and take the train to Seattle and use bus around town, if you like.

Nice train! I had been rode Tri-Max light rail train in Portland Oregon last several years. Ride was smooth!
TRI-MAX.jpg

Yeah, I rode the Portland's MAX before. :) I have been to North America's deepest underground station which is in Washington Park. By the way, that picture you showed is OLD...they have newer rolling stock now.

Yeah, I rode the Portland's MAX before. :) I have been to North America's deepest underground station which is in Washington Park. By the way, that picture you showed is OLD...they have newer rolling stock now.

Yes I know about deepest underground station. Two high-speed elevators are located at either end of the underground station. I had been visited to the Oregon Zoo and World Forestry Center.

It's not exactly faster than using the taxi but it's generally reliable than using taxi and cheaper, though.

Bonus thing is light rail train won't get stuck in a traffic jam or road works like taxi and other cars does. :)

Bonus thing is light rail train won't get stuck in a traffic jam or road works jam like taxi and other cars/buses and truck does. :)

Yes I know about deepest underground station. Two high-speed elevators are located at either end of the underground station. I had been visited to the Oregon Zoo and World Forestry Center.

Yeah...Beacon Hill station here in Seattle is 3rd deepest station in North America, I think. It's 160 feet deep but in Portland is like 240 ft deep, I think.

Bonus thing is light rail train won't get stuck in a traffic jam or road works jam like taxi and other cars/buses and truck does. :)

Yeah, that's true. :) It takes 36 minutes to take the train from Airport/Downtown. Driving takes about 25 minutes on a good day.

Back