Newly Deaf - Looking For Guidance in the Coming Weeks

Ring

Reaction score
Hi All:

I was hoping for some guidance on how I navigate the next few weeks/months. I did not know if I should post in the general chat forum or here. I tried navigating some other posts and my head started to spin with all the information; so, I thought I would start a new post. Sorry if this creating too much of a “been there done that” for you all.

To start, I have had unipolar hearing for about 5 years. (Removal of a vestibular schwanoma). On Monday of this week, I got Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL) in the “good” ear. At the ER, they prescribed steroids and I had a follow up with an ERT on Wednesday. Steroids seemed to help at first. The ENT wanted $7,000 grand for a steroid injection, but because of my improvement, I held off. Hearing was much worse by Thursday. I found an ENT that works on this condition in my insurance plan. At that time, I could recognize some speech. I received steroid injection and was put on stronger oral steroids. By Friday, verbal communication was impossible. ENT sent me for MRI which appears negative. I have had 3 audiology tests during the week with each coming back worse. I can hear clanking plates a little, but even someone speaking right into my ear is hopeless. An email this morning from the ENT said prospects were about 10% of resuming hearing, but he said I was an excellent candidate for a Cochlear Implant. I am now on a cocktail of meds. He doesn’t think it is Meniere’s but I am on a diuretic. He even spoke to a colleague that said to go on N-Acetyl-Cysteine (Vitamin B type supplement) because of an autoimmune study. Family is now communicating with me by notes and getting frustrated.
Communication is now very difficult; so, I was hoping some more experienced subscribers than I am could help me to ask the right questions in the near future when I meet with health care providers.

1. It sounds like there have been some instances of unscrupulous surgeons. What should I look out for?
2. I have read that the CI “processes” sound. What does that mean? Will all sound be like R2D2? Or will my daughter sound different from my son? Will I learn different people’s voices?
3. Will it really take one year for the therapy? Or is that just tweaking the device?
4. Will I be able to work?
5. Will I be able to enjoy a movie?

Thank you for your help.

Sorry you are having a difficult time. I lost all of my hearing overnight due to a sudden illness. I think if you look at some threads on this site most of your questions should be answered. I started a thread CI surgery approved today
If you read that it should give you some good information as people were very helpful to me.

Good luck

Sorry you are having a difficult time. I lost all of my hearing overnight due to a sudden illness. I think if you look at some threads on this site most of your questions should be answered. I started a thread CI surgery approved today
If you read that it should give you some good information as people were very helpful to me.

Good luck

Awesome Angel. That looks great.

Welcome and it can be frustrating at first but learning to breath and smile and know that the world is not over will help. Lots of good people here with lots of info that is helpful.

Back