New!

trueup84

Reaction score
Hello All,
My name is Andrew. I am a hearing person but am attending college and currently enrolled in ASL. My major is Social Studies with an imphasis on getting my high school teaching license. My hope and dream is to be able to teach both orally as well as through ASL. I haven't been in ASL for long, as I just finished my 2nd week, but deaf culture has won me over! In fact in a lot of ways I am jealous. Although especially right now you can look at me with what i would think of normal naivety but if you all will have me I hope to correct that and post haste. I live in Denver, CO married with one child both hearing, but if all goes to plan my wife and I have already been talking about adopting in which I hope I have the opportunity to adopt a deaf child(always has been a dream). I am also doing a term paper on Deaf Culture with an indepth look at why the deaf and hearing impaired choose to use or not to use HA's, CI's and things of the sort. As well as looking for someone to interview well multiple really (level of hearing, age of hearing loss) that sort of thing. If anyone is in the Denver area I would love to meet you and if you are up for I'll buy you some coffee or something and ask a few question.

I look forward to talking to all of you!

Sincerely Andrew

P.S. For those interested or willing my Metro e-mail is aeischen@mscd.edu

Hello! We all enjoyed your long post in the Annoying, Ignorant , Hearing Person thread this morning! :P

That would be SO cool if you adopted a dhh kid.....Hoh kids can be Deaf too. And as a matter of fact, it sucks b/c most of us don't get Deaf Ed interventions :( .Maybe you could adopt a bunch of dhh kids! ..and you could send them to the Deaf School in Golden!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Yep, he is an Audist when it comes to deaf and hard of hearing students. If you don't want to sign with them, then get some ASL interpreters to help them understand you and the Social Studies, otherwise they will get lost not understanding what you are teaching them. I was in the mainstream school in both elementary and high school and I hate oral-only program and had to put up with the crap of being in it. UGH!!! They won't allow me to sign to learn and not want to offer to have ASL interpreters in our hearing classes in high school. As a matter of fact, the mainstream schools refuse to allowed us to sign at all. So better sign with them or have some ASL interpreters to interpret for you.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Wirelessly posted

Hey Andrew! I'm in Denver too. In fact, I even attended Metro for a while. Welcome to AD!

Hi Andrew! Welcome to AD! Why are you so interested in Deafness/Deaf Culture? And why are you so interested in adopting a deaf child? What about a blind child, quadrapalegic, mental, ect...?

I don't intend to offend, but in reading your other posts, I wonder if you really understand what you are getting yourself into.

Back