New to this site, my father has gone deaf

Sweiss420

Reaction score
Hi - my father has had hearing aids for quite a while. He is now almost completely deaf. He is feeling lonely and isolated. I call him on the phone but he can no longer hear me.

I am looking for a telephone that will convert the person who my father is speaking with to text.

For example, my father calls Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is hearing and can talk. So my father calls Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones answers the phone. My father says hello and Mr. Jones says Hello.

When Mr. Jones says hello, the phone will intercept the speech and convert it to text and display the text on the phone for my father to read.

I've seen phones on the market that have a service that has a person act as a relay where when the called party (Mr. Jones in this example) speaks the person in the middle type the response into a keyboard and turns it into text.

I am looking for a phone that doesn't require a service but can translate the speech of the person being called directly into text.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Steve

Try a relay service. There are others who know about it more than I do who can help you. ;)

Its just a saying or phrase meaning, wait, before you jump find out where they are from, if they are from like China, how can relay service is gonna help them?

What horse?
That horse over there? *points at meadow*

Its just a saying or phrase meaning, wait, before you jump find out where they are from, if they are from like China, how can relay service is gonna help them?

I know what the saying means. :lol:

I assumed that seeing as they speak English that they come from the U.S., Britain, or Australia. You do have a point, though. Such things are never certain! :lol:

Buy a TTY.... They're severely outdated... lol! But some of us still have one... and some people use them. The TTY allows you to call relay service and have an operator translate his text words into words to you, and your words into text for him... It takes FOREVER to have a 2 minute convo... just FYI... Between the waiting for the "go aheads" and the slow operators I've encountered... a TTY is a good option if neither of you knows how to sign, otherwise video relay is AmmmmAAAAAzzzIIIIIing... =P That, or instant messenger... that's always a fast route. =P

Welcome by the way! =D

Phone with amplified speakers

Steve, we had really good luck with a phone that had highly amplified speakers for my dad. It's not a TTY phone. The folks at the state program for the hearing impaired provided it for free. (He lives in Montana.). The Montana State Relay program sends their staff to the home to evaluate a person's hearing. They also work with the person's audiologist to be sure the phone works with the person's hearing aids. The phone was a miracle- the first time my dad could really talk on the phone in 15 years. You might call the Montana Relay program to ask them for more info on the phone and to find out if your state has a similar program. Diane

PS. All of their nearly totally deaf friends are getting these phones, too. I don't have the model number here, but can get it. They told us that speaker phones are by far the best to use with hearing aids, because there is no feedback.

Back