New to community

B

brialoree

Hi there, this is my first foray into the Deaf or hoh community (anywhere). I'm nervous. I was socialized in a hearing culture but I've been hoh since I was a kid. I've always struggled to keep up. Now I'm 38 and I can't follow conversations, even with hearing aids (which I have for both ears). It's impacted my life a lot; I don't hang out with people anymore and I avoid situations where I have to speak to people in pretty much any capacity. I can't sign yet - I'm just learning - so I don't feel comfortable engaging with the Deaf community yet either. But, this is only getting worse for me - in the last year alone I've gone from being able to understand some stuff to understanding nothing at all. I'm tired of being isolated and alone and feeling like I'm the problem and just being embarrassed all the time. I have no idea what I'm doing but I want to meet other people who have similar experiences and give myself the chance to adapt. I also really want to learn ASL with people other than my wife.

Happy to be here, looking forward to getting to know folks. :)

Welcome :wave:

Keep learning ASL and that should open up new doors for social opportunities. Although it varies, some ASL socials are welcoming of new signers. Check to see if any local colleges have an ASL club with socials open to the public. Generally these will attract some Deaf community members who are patient with ASL students. You can also check out deafcoffee.com to see if there are any Deaf Coffee Chats in your area. These usually expect more proficient signers but some are open to new signers as well.

hello:) I've always been very welcomed in the Deaf community. I'm hoh; I sign a small bit. My hub hoh/oral deaf, no sign. enjoy your new learning experience of Deaf culture and hoh people:)

Back