New profoundly deaf member

Paul Cable

Reaction score
Hiya all. Paul here as new profoundly deaf member. Grew up with oral speech and started to learn BSL much later in life. I feel between two worlds and it can be difficult to fit in anywhere. DO you have similar situations? :wave:

Hiya all. Paul here as new profoundly deaf member. Grew up with oral speech and started to learn BSL much later in life. I feel between two worlds and it can be difficult to fit in anywhere. DO you have similar situations? :wave:

I can relate, I cannot hear, profoundly deaf-bilateral, but I can speak, yet I do not fit into the hearing world. Due to certain circumstances I am probably not going to be able to operate in an ASL world either. I too am late deafened, so where to try and fit ?

At any rate, welcome to the forum, it can get a bit brutal sometimes, or so it seems, stick with it, you'll figure out who is who. There are some truly fantastic people on this board.

Lots of deaf in your situation,myself included. Just live your own life, and findways to adjust to both worlds. Can be better than being stuck in 1 world

Tj is right about some of the people here.seems they can be real haters, toward newbiesbmostly. You willsee them.

I can relate to the op, totally!

Profoundly deaf grew up oral but only in the last 5 years have I learnt sign but I'm still not brilliant at it as I never use it unless I'm with deaf friends as whole family is hearing :)

WELCOME!

welcome to Alldeaf! I'm almost in your side now on my right ear (it's a little severe, not too bad) :3

I guess i will post a greeting ! ;)

:D My name is Shane and started learning ASL in 2010 with an inspiration being i dated a deaf man i met returning to college as i have now done. We might start dating again and so i am certainly stepping things up. Came across site reading posts at some other sites where i study lessons for ASL and Prof. Vicars. If i do start dating this man again i should certainly get to know the culture and lifestyle you might say. I see the word "profoundly" being used in terms to what type of hearing loss i would guess ? Have had a few discussion posts with Prof. Vicars about words i should use and so forth and did not see the word "profoundly" used much but certainly can see it is a word i need to know how to use and for what term. The man I might be dating is "profoundly" deaf i guess i should say and can't hear nor speak. Hope i can certainly learn a bit more with this site as a member and maybe once in awhile share some thoughts and discussions or forums. Coming from a man that does commercial voiceover work and broadcasting and human services on the side who is considering dating a guy again more serious who is deaf, and really start learning ASL and culture. I myself have disabilities with an accident i was in and now have vision loss causing loss of reading abilites, writing impairments and partial absence seizures occasionally- I space out for 3-5 minutes is a laymen term for it.

Maybe we will be chatting with ya soon :wave:

Back